My Duck Is Stuck In The Chimney!* Happily reunited with the flock =) *

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
My first muscovy ever, 2 years old, Dark Knight - IS STUCK IN THE CHIMNEY!

And she has been in there about a week. We thought she was another wild bird that fell in and would get itself out.

She is still in there, my neighbors are trying to help me get her out, and the flue thingy is concreted shut.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Update :

Ok, so we got her out and she and i are both covered in soot. Now the question is - what do you feed a duck thats been stuck in a cold chimney in winter for a week? And what do i put on her open sores that isnt expensive and i might be able to find around the house?

12/23/10

Well, this morning while feeding everyone i went out and whistled. Not only did three geese and my two young females fly over but so did Dark knight
smile.png
Happily gobbling up corn and arguing with the geese about who gets which pile. My old mama and her four boys as well as my oldest drake were still taking their time waddling across the field , lol

So alls well that ends well, and Dark knight looks nice and healthy
smile.png

Last edited:
I feel like such a bad mama! I mean this whole time she has been stuck in there, flapping around and i didnt even take them time to look to see what it was. And its been COLD !

OMGEEZE! My poor poor girl. Ugh. Ive even been wondering where she is lately because even my old wild drake has been hanging with the flock. ALl thats been missing is her.

Oh my god. As soon as she is out of there she is getting a nice warm bath or two, corn, and im going to go buy her some feederfish. and she is spending the night inside for a day or two till she is healthy by my standards. no way am i putting my poor girl back out until i am sure she will be ok.

ADVICE?

How far down is it? My recommendation would be to get a really long pole, tie a net to the end (or rather, get a pool cleaning pole with the big "leaf net")....get on the roof, shine a light down there, stick the pole straight down, scoop her into the net, pull the pole straight back up.

All depends on how big the space is. May take some finagling, but you should be able to do it, if you can get up on the roof and look down the chimney.

We've tried the pool pole but the chimney flue or whatever is too narrow for much of a net. Im going to try that though, see if i can find some of my minnow nets.

Get a chimney sweeper. They have those brushes and they can push the duck up from below.

After that get the darn thing capped so nothing can get into it and smoke can come out.

Last edited:
We had a bad wind storm a few months ago that blew the cap off the chimney , and my dad has been too lazy to get it put back on . I can hear her moving around in there.

THe problem in the door latch that is supposed to open from the fireplace up to let the smoke out and keep everything else out is blocked from the top , so it wont open.

We are waiting on her to maybe settle down a bit before stressing her out anymore. My neighbors will be back soon and hopefullly the net idea will work , fingers crossed!
fl.gif

Maybe you could make a smaller net out of something and attach it to your pool pole. Good luck... let us know how you do. It is a good that you found out it was her.

Back
Top Bottom