BrOwOke

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
(This is my first post on here and I hope I’m doing this right)
Almost two moths ago an animal got in and attacked my two Peking ducks, Kevin, the male and Shia LaDuck, the female. We took them to the vet and they got patched up. Turns out after they were all healed up and given the ok to go back to living outside a wound re opened on the male and we didn’t catch it in time and it proved fatal. So now I’m down to my one female, Shia. She’s heartbroken without him, she screams whenever I leave the location she’s in, she cries a lot, she’s just scared and lonely. How do I keep her happy and make her feel better? I have her sleeping inside my house now, I don’t want her outside by herself, is this good for her or should I be having her sleep outside in her pen? I want to get another duck friend for her so how do I go about introducing them in a healthy way and when should I do it? She lost her mate 4 days ago, do I give her time to grieve before introducing a new female duck? Is the sooner I get a new friend the better? Someone please give me advice, I’m lost and confused and I only want my girl to be happy. Almost every moment I’m not at work or asleep I’m with her, and when I’m at work I have my siblings check on her frequently. Any advice is appreciated, I just really want Shia to be happy, sorry this is so long, I’m just confused with a lot of things :(

(This is my first post on here and I hope I’m doing this right)
Almost two moths ago an animal got in and attacked my two Peking ducks, Kevin, the male and Shia LaDuck, the female. We took them to the vet and they got patched up. Turns out after they were all healed up and given the ok to go back to living outside a wound re opened on the male and we didn’t catch it in time and it proved fatal. So now I’m down to my one female, Shia. She’s heartbroken without him, she screams whenever I leave the location she’s in, she cries a lot, she’s just scared and lonely. How do I keep her happy and make her feel better? I have her sleeping inside my house now, I don’t want her outside by herself, is this good for her or should I be having her sleep outside in her pen? I want to get another duck friend for her so how do I go about introducing them in a healthy way and when should I do it? She lost her mate 4 days ago, do I give her time to grieve before introducing a new female duck? Is the sooner I get a new friend the better? Someone please give me advice, I’m lost and confused and I only want my girl to be happy. Almost every moment I’m not at work or asleep I’m with her, and when I’m at work I have my siblings check on her frequently. Any advice is appreciated, I just really want Shia to be happy, sorry this is so long, I’m just confused with a lot of things :(
I'm so sorry for your loss 😭 I don't have any experience with ducks but I sure hope someone in here can help you 😔

I think you are doing very well with helping her cope. The poor baby...that's so sad! If she is that lonely it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get another duck asap, especially since you will probably want to quarantine her before introducing them. Until then I think keeping her inside is fine....at least she is getting human company that way! I'm so sorry that you lost your drake for your sake and hers. Hopefully there is others who will see this thread and be more knowledgeable. :hugs

In a perfect world, you will be able to find another duck that's about her age and size, and they will adore each other. Or, they won't right away. Ducks like company, but it may take them a while to warm up to each other. I've had my "replacement" females living in a shelter and run a couple of feet away from the adults, and it's still taking much longer than I'd hoped for them to become one big, happy flock -- they are not there yet and I need them to hurry. It's going to get cold too soon here.

Shia needs a friend, and if I were doing it, I would get a female, not a drake, although this time of year the boys aren't as ardently romantic as during the spring and early summer.

I would also get Shia and her new sibling outdoors when you can -- says the woman who still has one "house chicken. I love ducks, but as you've learned, they are incredibly messy little buggers. Will it hurt her to be indoors for a while? Absolutely not, and it might do both of your hearts some good.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, both of you.

I would be looking for her a new friend right away. Keeping her with you is completely fine until she gets a new friend. Your best bet would be to check your local craigslist to see if someone is selling off any adult female ducks or you could post an ISO add if you don't see any ducks listed. I agree with the above comment on a female friend replacement and NOT another Drake.

As others have said, get a female rather than another male (you typically want at least 4 females for every male or you risk overmating and serious injury/death)

Try to find one in similar age/size to her just in case they butt heads a little bit. If you can, introducing them slowly through a barrier like chickenwire down the middle of the pen or two rooms separated by a baby gate, etc would be ideal - let them get to know each other without anyone encroaching on the other's space or allowing them to physically fight.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :( My ducks and I have also grieved, so we know what you both are going through.

Like everyone is suggesting I would find a female friend quickly, quarantine her, and introduce her via the look but no touch method. If you have the finances available I would even take the new duck to an avian vet before the introduction to test for parasites and possible diseases. It will cost you a lot, but seemingly healthy birds can have diseases. It is unlikely, but possible, it happened to my birds. If you can't, I think it is worth the risk to get her a friend.

I would keep her inside with you and hang out with her as much as possible to ease her anxiety and grief until get new friend can help.

Back
Top Bottom