My duck taped egg is chirping!!!**PICTURES**!!

Elite Silkies

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I set eggs on 3/14 and was candling on day 8 into incubation and drop an egg on top of one. Cracked it really good, dented the top in and had two pretty good size cracks coming from the dent in the top. Didn't look like I broke the membrane so I decided to give duck tape a try.

It's chirping!!!!!!! I have my fingers crossed that it can get out with the duck tape on it. I tried to take the duct tape off, but it pulled some the shell away.

34583_duck_tape_baby_001.jpg

34583_duck_tape_baby_003.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how to get the duck tape off, that stuff sticks good! At least get it pulled up enough to let the baby pip and be able to zip.

I'll post a pic as soon as he is out. Not sure when or if I should intervene. I probably will, I will not be able to keep from helping him. Not sure if it would work if the membrane was ruptured, but if the membrane is still intact, duck tape it.

But, be sure you don't put duck tape near the pipping area like I did.

Keep us posted. I am interested in what is going to happen.

This is totally off topic but I happen to see the thermometer/hygrometer in the picture. How do you like it, does it work good. I have been looking for one and that looks like it might be the one.
Thanks

They are okay, but you can put two in there and neither one will ever read the same temp or the same humidity. I would recommend a better one. I would like to find a really good one, but I procrastinate and haven't wanted to spend that much money on one, if I can't be sure they will work.

I have been tempted to have my husband order me one through Snap On, but they are super expensive.

I don't think the chick can get thru the duct tape unless he pips elsewhere, you may be able to remove it or loosen it by using baby oil or veg. oil around it. If so wipe up the oil afterwards with a kleenex. I'd wait till the chick really is trying to get out. If the duct tape is removed you could cover the opening with a damp gauze or paper towel, to keep chick from shrink wrapping.

I think someone used candle wax to cover over damaged shell, I know it has happened often to others and I believe the outcomes were good.

As far as those humidity/temperature thingies (Springfield brand?) from Wally, I have 12 of them and none have the same reading even if put together, some are very far off. On know on at least one thread they told how to calibrate them, you might search for that.

Back
Top Bottom