My duck was attacked by something idk what! Advice needed

saraid1029

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Hello! So for a little background I got 3 Pekin ducklings back in March from tractor supply. I did a lot of research and raised them on our screened in porch with the intent to move them to the backyard when they’re bigger and eventually let them swim in our small lake in our backyard. Well this morning I noticed some ants on one of my ducks, I thought it was odd but we do have a bad ant problem tbh and there was only a couple and he didn’t seem bothered so I figured he would just wash them off in the pool. Well a couple hours later I go and check again and I still see some so I start to get concerned and I decide I’m at least going to wash them off of him. When I grab him I see that he has a big bloody gash in his back under his feathers.

I feel absolutely horrible as for a long time I was letting them in the backyard during the day and then putting them on the porch at night. Well they are kind of hard to get into the porch every night because they don’t like being picked up so when I walk towards them and I’m close they get scared, it became a big hassle. Instead I started leaving the porch door open at night so they could come in if they wanted. I feel absolutely horrible now because it’s been about two weeks and now this happened and I’ve been beating myself up about it all day. :( I want to buy a coop because I have a small fenced in area for a garden that I don’t use that would be perfect for an open area for them but also for the coop because then I could get them in there easy versus chasing them all around the yard. Anyways I have separated him from the others and he’s on the porch even though they hate being apart from each other. Can someone advise me if I should keep them apart? I haven’t seen them peck at him or act weird or anything, but they did quack for him because they don’t like being separated. I washed the wound with water and poured a lot of hydrogen peroxide on it and then sprayed it with bactine. I’m going to get some vetericyn tomorrow. Any other advice as to what I can give him? Oral antibiotics? It’s not bleeding anymore or anything and there are no flies, ants or maggots. He is eating, drinking and walking around fine he’s just a bit upset I can tell. I also gave him water with electrolyte powder. Mind you I don’t know there genders...I call them all my boys and have tried to figure out their sex by their quack sounds and I think this one is a boy. Also, the wound doesn’t look super deep as far as I can tell. It’s round and about 1 1/2 inches wide I would say. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow.

I know leaving them out this was probably inevitable but I still feel horrible so please no mean comments. Also and for those who leave their ducks free range, does this type of thing happen often? I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and finance a coop because I would feel so bad if it happens again. Any advice on how to protect them and also to heal his wound would really be appreciated. Thank you!! I also attached a pic I just didn’t want to upset him again and move his wings around to show the wound.

Attachments

• 59A1863F-B77D-4DDE-B203-0435324F0B3B.jpeg
    59A1863F-B77D-4DDE-B203-0435324F0B3B.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 68
Hi there, Welcome to BYC!

Could you trim a 3cm circumferial area around the wound so we can see it better, that'd be great! So it sounds like the duck is in good condition, the main thing we want to do is take care of the wound and ensure it doesn't get infected further, which it sounds like you have already done pretty well job doing.

Before jumping to any conclusions I'd like to see a close-up picture of the wound, but what does concern me is the prolonged period of time the wound has been uncared for, you have to consider that the bacteria in the biter's mouth was present, also some on the bird's skin, and in the environment, so it is quite essential it be kept clean, and the bird be monitored closely for any alteration's in his behavior.

It'd probably be best that he be kept inside for the next few days to keep the wound from bacteria in their swimming pool, bedding, etc. We all make mistakes, and learn from them, don't be too hard on yourself.

Hi there, Welcome to BYC!

Could you trim a 3cm circumferial area around the wound so we can see it better, that'd be great! So it sounds like the duck is in good condition, the main thing we want to do is take care of the wound and ensure it doesn't get infected further, which it sounds like you have already done pretty well job doing.

Before jumping to any conclusions I'd like to see a close-up picture of the wound, but what does concern me is the prolonged period of time the wound has been uncared for, you have to consider that the bacteria in the biter's mouth was present, also some on the bird's skin, and in the environment, so it is quite essential it be kept clean, and the bird be monitored closely for any alteration's in his behavior.

It'd probably be best that he be kept inside for the next few days to keep the wound from bacteria in their swimming pool, bedding, etc. We all make mistakes, and learn from them, don't be too hard on yourself.
Thank you for your reply, here’s a picture I just took a little more up close.

Attachments

• A1D03EBE-C8ED-4D20-B36B-4F3BF37CEB0F.jpeg
    A1D03EBE-C8ED-4D20-B36B-4F3BF37CEB0F.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 22
Could you trim some of the feathers off around the wound, and then send another picture ?
Yeah I will try. He’s pretty upset right now because it was kind of hard to get the picture. He definitely is lower on energy than normal but he’s still drinking water and walking around like normal. What do you think from what you can tell so far? I can take him to the vet because there is one not too far from me that does ducks but they were closed today and I’m pretty sure they will be for Memorial Day tomorrow too. I can take him Tuesday I’m just worried that if it’s infected it will only keep getting worse.

@isaac, what do you recommend washing the wound with? I noticed OP said they used hydrogen peroxide initially, should they continue with that or just use plain water now, mild soap, or something else?

Partially depends on the severity of the wound, but most of my vet book's say to wash with saline and apply either Betadine or chlorhexidine, and bandage to protect the underlying tissue. That is probably what I would suggest doing with this duck until she can be taken to a vet.

Partially depends on the severity of the wound, but most of my vet book's say to wash with saline and apply either Betadine or chlorhexidine, and bandage to protect the underlying tissue. That is probably what I would suggest doing with this duck until she can be taken to a vet.

Thanks. I seem to remember reading that Hydroden peroxide is not much recommended any more, as it can actually damage healthy tissue. I do have some in my first-aid kit but wondered if Betadine is a better option. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Hoping to see a better pic of this duck's injury after some of the feathers are clipped. Does this look like a dog bite to you, or is it too soon to tell?

Back
Top Bottom