My duckling was panting today in middle of brooder! I’m worried sick! Please help!!

Pics

Newduckmommy1221

Chirping
Sep 25, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have a quick question, today I noticed one of my ducklings panting. He was sitting near the other two but only he looked to be panting but the heat lamp wasn’t as close to him. I have the heat lamp to the far left side of the brooder in order to have a warm area for them and a cooling area as well. He was sitting on a soft plush toy and panting... I’ve researched about it and it said that if there are no nasal congestion than it could have been that he was over heated? This is the duckling that sneezes sometimes when he dips his bill in water or I guess gets a bit of dust from the food in his nose... I don’t think he’s congested but I just got very worried that maybe he’s over heating? They will be 1 week old tomorrow night. So I know they stil need the heat lamp and after the 1 week mark I should lower the temp by 5% right? So tomorrow night I’ll be placing heat lamp a bit higher up to create less of a hot environment area for them. I also read that pine shavings could cause this? I bought pine shavings at a farm and placed newspaper at the bottom of the brooder, a layer of pine shavings and then soft white bedding for warmth and coziness... but I read that if they eat small pine shavings by accident it can somehow cause them to overheat or their tummies to expand? Help! I’m very nervous and worried. What do you think I should do? I moved the heat lamp further away from the brooder but still giving them enough heat for warmth but seriously he was in the middle of the brooder where he always is and I have never seen him panting like that!! Please let me know your thoughts!

5F58EAB2-4630-4572-84E9-314D21532724.jpeg
After about a week young poultry start to be able to regulate their own body heat. What's the temperature? How big is your brooder? Pictures? I personally would go by behaviors and raise the lamp.

So I posted a pic of the brooder above when I only had the one duckling in. I don’t have a thermometer in there yet, I’ve been eye balling it to be honest. I placed the heat lamp on a top corner where the little lamb plush toy is but it’s higher up. The ducklings have not had any problems at all being under there and I often times move the lamp to shine half of the brooder and half out of the brooder to give them more area to cool down too.hard to explain. I don’t have a pic of the brooder with the heat lamp on. But their behaviour doesn’t seem like they are hot. They cuddle under the warmth and then go to the middle of brooder which tells me that they’re warm enough it’s not like their escaping out of the heat at all.

Back
Top Bottom