My ducks are breathing heavily sometimes

Naiva80512

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Hi guys...I have one magpie and one Pekin 7 months drakes..the magpie duck sometimes breath heavily..u can hear his breathing sometimes..I provided them enough water to dunk their head into it and I checked his nostrils and they seems fine with no blockage..so Is this normal to hear his breathing(he seems fine btw with no illness)? And they both sometimes are inhaling so much air suddenly..It's like a deep breath..Idk if this is normal or not..they stand on their feet and inhale so much air suddenly(It's like gasping)..I also filmed the magpie one but u can't hear his breath I guess..

Last edited:
I was not able to access the video. what is the temperature. They could be panting but I only have chickens im not sure if they do the same thing over heating. I do know some about ducks but not enough to be able to give you fully accurate information. If it is because there over heating just make sure they have somewhere to swim. you might be able to find a dog pool at petco or local pet store for like 15 dollars. so they could swim a little. You said to fully put there nostrils under Im not sure if that means they can get in it. if they arent over heating you do not need a pool were they can get into but they surre injoy it. They put there nostrils under so they can clear them out right?

I was not able to access the video. what is the temperature. They could be panting but I only have chickens im not sure if they do the same thing over heating. I do know some about ducks but not enough to be able to give you fully accurate information. If it is because there over heating just make sure they have somewhere to swim. you might be able to find a dog pool at petco or local pet store for like 15 dollars. so they could swim a little. You said to fully put there nostrils under Im not sure if that means they can get in it. if they arent over heating you do not need a pool were they can get into but they surre injoy it. They put there nostrils under so they can clear them out right?
Yes they do that frequently..here it's autumn so weather is pretty chill and I don't think they are over heating...and tnx for ur comment..I uploaded the video in YouTube here's the link

i didn't notice anything unusual with his breathing. Do they make a weird noise when gasping for air? I wonder if it's the weird thing drakes do my Runner drakes do this weird kind of bend over a little then let out a weird sound before taking off. I don't have a video of it and never know when they are going to do it either.

i didn't notice anything unusual with his breathing. Do they make a weird noise when gasping for air? I wonder if it's the weird thing drakes do my Runner drakes do this weird kind of bend over a little then let out a weird sound before taking off. I don't have a video of it and never know when they are going to do it either.
Yes they do..It's like a sudden loud ""quack"" thing in my case..so this is normal for drakes u think? Ur ducks don't have any problems? In my case my drakes seem fine but I wanna make sure there is no problem..and also what do u think about my Magpie's weight LoL? Idk he seems a little skinny imo and I don't know what should I give him to gain some weight besides pellet

Back
Top Bottom