My ducks are not good at hatching chicken eggs. Might they be good at hatching duck eggs?

sylviethecochin

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 14, 2017
Central PA
We got four muscovy/pekin crosses last year, and they all turned out to be female. Unusual, but not impossible. So by fall of last year, they were trying to set on clutches of fifteen-twenty eggs each and keeping them warm for weeks.

The ducks are easy to break of broodiness, but I wanted to see how they'd do, so I stuck some chicken eggs under them. They all got four to six, and the low hatch rates probably aren't their fault--I found a bad riboflavin deficiency when the peeps hatched.

One hatched two peeps out of six eggs, and killed a peep by pulling it out of the egg too early. One hatched nothing. One hatched four peeps and killed two by smothering(?) them. One hatched two peeps and killed them both by pulling them out of the eggs too early.

I have a low opinion of Pekin intelligence, so I'm wondering if that influenced the muscovy to make them really great setters and really bad hatchers? We have two pekin males now, and I'd love to know before they start sitting on any more fertilised nests.

Also, can I expect a staggered hatch due to the 35 day length of incubation for muscovies and the 28 day for pekins?
P1050260.JPG

Yes you can expect a staggered hatch. I think the ducks will be better at hatching the duck eggs then the chicken eggs because they are different and obviously the duck's (being the same species) will have more instinct when hatching duck eggs.

Just to let you know, you won't be getting any ducklings out of your female ducks. Muscovy/pekin crosses are called Mule ducks because like mules they are from the crossing of two different species. And also like mules they are sterile.

Just to let you know, you won't be getting any ducklings out of your female ducks. Muscovy/pekin crosses are called Mule ducks because like mules they are from the crossing of two different species. And also like mules they are sterile.

That's a significant problem. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom