My ducks quit laying

BigLar368

Songster
Jun 12, 2020
Southeast Texas
Not sure what's going on. I have 18 chickens and 4 Welsh Harlequin ducks all about 16 months old. Chickens kinda tailed off over the last couple months but have started laying more. Up until about 3 months ago the ducks were laying machines. I was getting 25 plus eggs a week from them. They all would lay like clock work every morning before I let them out. About 3 months ago it went down to about 3 every day then two then for the next 6 weeks it was just one and now for the past 3 weeks it has been none. They have a 50 gallon stock pond that I empty and fill with clean water every day. They have fresh water troughs that have clean well water running to them all day everyday. They have been on 20% protein laying pellets since I have been big enough to eat them. I feed them a hand full of corn just to get them all put up every night. The run is plenty big for them. I let them out in a fenced yard all day so they have more than enough room to spread out and forage all day. I am pretty sure they are all (even the chickens) molting cause it looks like 10 feather pillows exploded back there..lol. With that being said it's been quite a while since the molting has started. We live in Southeast TX so it's fairly hot here hot and humid here not sure if that takes a toll or not. I have been giving them a little bit of cheap high protein cat food at night as I read extra protein may help out with molting. All of them have been eating plenty as well. They all look fairly plump and healthy. Not sure how much longer this will last.

Or if they decide to take a break as you noted. That's more likely to come in the heat rather than winter. I've got to learn not to press post reply before I'm through talking.

Back
Top Bottom