My eggs are late

Ashleygc470

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Central Texas
I know that with incubation, eggs hatch on their own time. Mine are 24 hrs over due, that's not what worries me.The problem I'm having is that none of them are even wiggling, except for one. It has a small peep and wiggles very rarely. With this batch, I have a few eggs that have droplets of hardened goo. My best guess is that somehow the inside fluid seeped out of the shell and hardened. It has a bad smell radiating from it because of the goo. Are the gooed eggs toxic to the others? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Anything I can try? I have them at 60-65 humidity and 37.5°C and am playing chick chirping sounds on my tablet for them. These are very expensive. Out of 22 eggs, only 8 were fertile. So im kinda freaking out.

Attachments

• 20200103_174938.jpg
    20200103_174938.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200103_174934.jpg
    20200103_174934.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200103_174925.jpg
    20200103_174925.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200103_174923.jpg
    20200103_174923.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 10
If you decide to take them out. You will need tweezers rubbing alcohol, a warm damp paper towel or towel, coconut oil if u have it. Make sure you are right beside the incubator so that if needed you can stick him back in there to get warm. Starting at the air sack peal away small pieces of shell at a time. When you get to the inner lining out coconut oil on it to keep it moist make sure that the veins are not bleeding any more. Too do this simply pull at the inner lining a little bit if it bleeds then wait a couple of mins. If it keeps bleeding after that then just make the decision your self based on how the baby if you should take the inner layer away and free him or not. Slowly inch your way down with the tweezers till you get to the chicks bottom. Look for yellow if there is a lot of yellow then stick him back I the incubator for a little while longer. Also stick some coconut oil on the inner liner as you go. If it turns white its too dry. When you get low enough the baby should push out if not you do have full permission to pull him out not all the way just his head let him pull his bottom out so that he gets the umbilical out himself with out causing damage. Finally put the tweezers in the rubbing alcohol to clean them. The warm wet paper towels is just to keep him semi warm while he's not in the incubator. Let me know how it goes. Don't be afraid to do emergency rescue. If they are not talking or moving do the " surgery". I hope all goes well.
Warm or cold wet paper towels or cloth is not good. Whether warm or cold, evaporative cooling is taking place. This will only "chill" the chick.
A better way would be to use a warm towel, either by heating in a dryer or other heat source, ie; placing the towel (cloth or paper) on a heating pad.
It doesn't take long for a chick to become chilled.

Any egg that is oozing and/or smells bad should be removed immediately.
Have you been candling throughout incubation....
...to check for development and or those stinkers?

It has a small peep and wiggles very rarely.
This one may have internally pipped, they won't rock constantly...
....should externally pipped with 12-24 hours.

Eggs can hatch on day 18 thru 22....depends on many factors.

Here's a good guide for assisted hatching:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

A better way would be to use a warm towel, either by heating in a dryer or other heat source, ie; placing the towel (cloth or paper) on a heating pad.
It doesn't take long for a chick to become chilled.
Heating pad would work well.
When I assist a hatch I use a swing arm utility lamp with an incandescent bulb, to be able to see and to provide an 'overhead' heater. Turn it on 30 minutes prior to 'operation' and it will warm the surface nicely. Has worked well.
upload_2020-1-4_8-21-17.png

Ok. Got them out. Do I need to do anything with the already pipped one? It has broken thru the protective sack, will it harden the inside and prevent him from hatching since it was exposed to outside air?
one is pipped and chirping right? If it get to be 32 hours you can take it out of the shell. I've had to do it a lot. Its not very difficult but you do have to be cautious and fast.

Back
Top Bottom