My experience with bumblefoot

So here we are day 5. Didnt do anything on day 4. I took off the vet wrap today and took a look. Bottom of foot looks healed but top looks not so great.

She is soaking in the tub for 15 mins and then I'm going to wash it and put more neosporin on it and wrap it.

20181025_131336.jpg
20181025_131411.jpg

I was thinking about you today! A stainless steel cuticle pusher would be an awesome surgical tool for cleaning out a bumblefoot.
The kind with the sharp curved end....
also sterilizable!

The top looks worse because the infection has migrated and is trapped in there.

I think you need to soak and squeeze.

If you don’t make significant progress in a day, open that up.

This may be a stupid question. But I'm new to chicken keeping and I noticed that in all the instructions I looked at for how to treat bumble foot no one ever mentioned what the chicken does during the procedure. I imagine it's not very nice for them, but does it cause them pain? Do they struggle or scream? Perhaps no one has mentioned it because it's not very nice to talk about.. But I do want to know what to expect if I have to treat this myself.

So sorry that happened, no chicken deserves that. Hope she'll do okay.

Sometimes they'll whine or give a little jerk but if you do the removal correctly softening the area before you begin the pain is minimal. It does depend on the bird as well. The ones that won't even let you trim toenails without screaming bloody murder aren't going to be quiet or still. A bird that is comfy with you probably won't do a thing. Last bumble I treated the bird went to sleep during.:)
This may be a stupid question. But I'm new to chicken keeping and I noticed that in all the instructions I looked at for how to treat bumble foot no one ever mentioned what the chicken does during the procedure. I imagine it's not very nice for them, but does it cause them pain? Do they struggle or scream? Perhaps no one has mentioned it because it's not very nice to talk about.. But I do want to know what to expect if I have to treat this myself.

So sorry that happened, no chicken deserves that. Hope she'll do okay.

My chicken has been pretty okay with the treatment. There were a couple times when I was definitely hurting her. This was when I pulled out some big chunks or when I accidentally poked her with the needle, which happened only twice but I could tell she felt it. I could tell because she clenched the toes on her foot and pulled her foot away. The rest of the time, her leg was pretty relaxed.
Of course, just because they don't show it doesn't mean they don't feel it. But mine pulled away and maybe made a couple little squawks.

I would imagine it does not feel good but I bet the feeling of having all that mess out of the foot is pretty nice though. It has to be terrible walking around with all that. I know anybody who has ever had a giant bump or cyst has never wished they had it back after it was gone even if it hurt like crazy getting it out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom