My experience with Meyer Hatchery -- long post

I ordered from Meyer last year, getting back into chickens after years without them, & I changed my mind & order twice & they could not have been more helpful. All arrived on schedule, healthy & hearty. Thanks to Meyers I have a lovely little laying flock.
I did write them a letter to thank them for such good customer service!

I think that far to often hatcheries get a undeserved bad rap. When you consider the number of chick orders they handle each year you will have a few mishaps and errors. Customer service is what makes them successful and when you look at how long many of them have been in business that must be doing something right. Last year I ordered from Estes Hatchery and my order was misread by the person filling the order. I felt they went far beyond what would have been expected to make things right. They were wonderful people to deal with and I have beautiful chickens. I think that this is probably the type service you will receive from most hatcheries. Those of us who get good service rarely take the time to write about it, while those who have a problem scream to high heaven.

I also ordered from Meyer this year. I was only ordering 5 chicks, and really had no idea what I wanted. I had researched and come up with a short list based on cold-hardiness, but even that was quite a long list. The person I spoke with on the phone (I don't recall her name) spent about 30 minutes talking with me and helping me what to decide . . . all for my order of 5 chicks.

I was also amazed at how well packed the chicks arrived (at 6:30 in the morning - the Post Office called as soon as they came in!)

Rachel

I have not bought from Meyer's YET, but I will say that out of the tons of hatcheries I sent catalog requests to, they were the first of only TWO to actually send me a catalog! I like a hard copy to read at my leisure, and I really appreciated it.

Stromberg's in MN was the other one who sent me a catalog. They have TONS of hatching supplies and feeder/waterers. I just wish I wouldn't get hit for MN sales tax if I buy from them.
sad.png

I have gotten great service and chicks from:

Murray McMurray
Hoovers Hatchery
Cackle Hatchery

I have decided to order thru my local feed store this year for my broilers since there is no shipping in them and the price is unbeatable, but I may very likely order from Meyers as well, especially if I get around to setting up some bantams or layers.

Um.... hi. I know who posted this and I just wanted to say thank you for such kind words. I didn't do anything that I wouldn't have tried to do for anyone else. I (for the most part) really enjoy my job and am just as nutty about chickens as anyone else. Thank you again, it's people like you that make those busy days worth it. I'm humbled (blushing and shuffling my feet!!).

Yay, Dawn! Glad you got a chance to see that you are appreciated! And it's nice to see someone take the time to put out the good word since it's so much more common to have folks complain when they are unsatisfied- Hope both the OP and Dawn have a great day!
Patty N. ;-)

I just picked up my chicks from Meyer Hatchery on Wednesday. I got 3 Golden Buffs. There were 4 separate occasions when I went to Meyer Hatchery and whether they were busy or not, they took the time to answer all my newbie questions. I would spend over an hour each time. All the employees are very nice and very helpful and I did tell them so. My experience with Meyer has been very positive as well. So, I was really small potatoes and they still took the time to answer ALL my questions. I will definitely keep going back. Plus they are only about 3 miles away.
clap.gif

My babies are due to arrive on the 22nd this Wednesday. Most of which are crested, and sadly they don't do too well in cold weather, so I'm hoping I receive little or no losses. I'm ordering only 8 but including a heat pack. We'll see how they do...
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for this. It helps me to rest easy and know that this hatchery does it's job.

Back
Top Bottom