My experience with Meyer Hatchery -- long post

I had been meaning to post something like this as well. After reading a number of positive reviews of Meyer on this website, I decided I really wanted to get my chicks from them. Well, I was only ordering 3 chicks, my very first ever, and Meyer is less than 3 hours from me, so I thought I'd pick them up and save them the stress of shipping. When I called to order the first time, late in the afternoon, they had all the breeds I wanted on one day, but I had to check with my husband again to be sure that he was REALLY going to finally agree to having chicks in our backyard. He said yes, so I called Meyer back first thing the next morning, and they no longer had all the chicks I wanted--one of the breeds was sold out for weeks! Argh! That's what I get for having cold feet. So I went ahead and ordered the other 2 that were still available, and was told that I could call back to see if there were any cancellations for my 3rd breed. Well, I called and bugged their wonderful employees several times in the following days, and eventually they said that they *did* have my 3rd breed available, just 1 week earlier than my other two. I went ahead and ordered that chick, and the nice employee I spoke to (and now I can't remember who it was, because I talked to so many nice people there) suggested that I should switch one of my other chicks to that earlier date, so that I wouldn't have just one lonely chick for the week. I kept calling back after that, pestering the poor staff to no end, trying to see if there had been any cancellations so I could combine my order to one day and avoid making the trip out there twice, but no luck. Nevertheless, the people were always nice--all of this over 3 little chicks--I know they must think I'm crazy.

Anyway, I eventually went out there, got the chicks I ordered, and so far, everything seems great. I don't regret making the long drive out there twice--it was worth it to me to have confidence in the chicks I was getting--with so few, even 1 loss (or roo) would be too many, and I had read many great reviews of Meyer here. The chicks are now almost 2 and 3 weeks old respectively, and they are healthy, friendly, and cute! The staff was great about all my newbie questions and anxieties over 3 little chicks, and I would definitely order from them in the future, and recommend them to anyone!

Quote:
Yup, got mine coming from Meyer on tues. as well. I've made a few changes and they have been great. It was this cite that helped me to choose Meyer and I think things will be fine. Will let you know as soon as they come in. Columbiacritter...hope you're ready. I think Monday is going to be long day
barnie.gif

This was our 2nd year to order from Meyer. I am always pleased at how much time they take with me on the phone.

This year though, we had a problem. I do not believe it was Meyers' fault of course. My chicks were shipped out on Monday, and I didn't receive them until FRIDAY. Of course, I blame the USPO for this. It didn't make the losses any better. Out of 37 chicks, I lost 12. I have to say that I was surprised that many survived, and the ones that did were SUPER frisky and healthy!

It was 3 weeks before I contacted Meyer because my daughter had mono and was in the hospital twice. I did contact them and they refunded me the amount for all of my losses, even though it had been several weeks.

I am not sure whether I will continue to order from hatcheries or not. The losses I experienced this year from both my meat order and this one really upset me and I'd like to try raising my own and/or buying from local breeders. However, Meyer will always be my top choice for a hatchery!

Back
Top Bottom