My Favorite Predator Control Tool: Moultrie 4.0 IR Game Cam (New Pix!)

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
SpeckledHills asked me to post information on the Game Cam that I use to monitor predators in the coop area. Since I free range, predator control becomes that more important.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933976

Here is a link to my game cam. A Moultrie 4.0 IR Game Cam.

It is infra-red and takes night pictures without an animal startling flash. This helps in capturing multiple shots at each visit. The daytime pictures are also impeccable. Check my BYC page for pictures from my game cam.

It uses 6 D batteries and has an internal memory or for ease of use or you can use a SD memory card if you don't want to cart it in the house to download pictures on the computer. It works pretty much like any other digital camera.

You mount it on a tree easily using a simple strap that comes with the cam and face it towards your coop or problem area. It is motion activated and takes pictures when anything moves where it is pointed. It can also take video if you wish but I'm sure that would run through the batteries faster. I'ts taken thousands of pics for me and my batteries are still over 50%. This is a key feature as some cams go through batteries like crazy.

I use electrical putty instead of the cheap gasket it comes with to insure water resistance for rain. It stamps day, time, temp and moon phase on every picture. It has been perfectly weather resistant so far.

After a review of pictures, you get a good indication of predator habits, which makes hunting easy. The camera can also be used for surveillance of any part of your property that make not be secure.

I love it and think it is an essential for free ranging chickens.

You may also find my original link helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65814

I hope this helps the new folks that didn't see my original post.

Last edited:
woot.gif
thanks Bluey!
hugs.gif

No problem Redhen. I love my game cam.

It takes such great wildlife shots like this one. I call it "Bambi Say Cheese!"
lau.gif
8693_hellodeer.jpg

how bout showing a pic taken after it was dark out??? we had vandalism and i would like to see a night shot if you got one
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom