My first baby layers

graykristen

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 2, 2008
I have 2 batches of layer chicks. One batch is 8 days old and the other batch arrived today. I have them separated. I notice that the older ones are trying to perch on things. Should I have something in the brooder for them to roost on?

After a few days, can I mix the 8 day olds with the new ones??

At that young of an age (1 week) apart...I throw the new ones right in with the older ones. They have always done fine. If you mix them in watch them for a bit to make sure there is no real problems... mine always do fine tho...

and yes, a roost.... They do like to roost...at that age it's not necessary but they (some) like it and can do it.... for my babies I bought a parrot ladder or a small bird ladder so I could hook it on the brooder...but most anything would probably work fine...
jumpy.gif

Have fun with your babies!!!
pop.gif

My brooder is made of wood, and I attached a 2X2 inside for a perch, about 4 inches above the bedding. They were using it by the time they were about a week old. Then I added another one higher up as they grew. It helped with crowding, too, as there were fewer chicks on the floor of the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom