My first chick hatched this morning in my first hatch attempt. .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snooptwomey, Jan 30, 2012.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    Got my first chick hatched early this morning, and then one just started cracking through the shell tonight, around 10pm or so I think, I can hear this chick peeping alot, how long does this process usually take from once they start chipping through? This is my very first hatch attempt ever, started with 8 eggs, 4 ended up not developing, 3 candled good, and one iffy. First one hatched on day 20, yesterday, 2nd on day 21(today), and 3rd ??

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Minutes to hours. Ive had one pip through the shell and then 24 hours later it finally emerged.

3. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Mine almost always go 18 hours from external pip to hatch. The zipping and hatching itself only takes a couple of minutes though. Good luck!

4. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    [​IMG]
    2nd one out, early this morning.

5. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    [​IMG]

6. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    [​IMG]2 healthy chicks so far. . . waiting on one more that I am pretty sure will hatch, and a 4th that I think is iffy and dont expect to have hatch. [​IMG] I am happy with these numbers considering this is my first try [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. well, how'd it go? any more????

9. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    unfortunately not. I ended up float testing last one I was expecting to hatch and it failed float test so i cracked it open at end where air cell was. chick was fully developed, probably made it to day 20-21 then thats it, it broke through membrane so I think it drowned. Not sure. I am sticking more eggs in today so I will see how that goes. 9 EE of my own hens, 2 auburn javas, 2 blue laced red wyandottes, 1 mystery egg :) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by