My first coop, first chickens (don't even have them yet!lol)

This is going to be my ongoing coop build thread with all successes and failures documented for posterity and to try to help out others like me...

My wife and I moved back home to San Diego from Ecuador at the beginning of summer and after our tenants vacated our rental property at the beginning of August we decided to do a little bit of work to the place so we could move out of my Mother-in-Law's house by mid-September.

I organic garden, vermicompost, pile compost etc.. I used to work on the educational side of all that now I actually enjoy it:D

I have always wanted to raise chickens and we now have some space. We are allowed 5 hens by law here and despite my wife's love of small, fluffy animals I plan to keep our flock at, or near 5!

My plan is to build something similar in design to this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wichita-cabin-coop.47747/?page=1

Mike
Oh I fell in love with Ecuador I had the privilege of living there for 1 1/2 years. What brought you to Ecuador?
Look forward to seeing the progress of your coop :)

View attachment 1155893
Footing/foundation for the coop poured today. It is not my best work, hope the chickens are okay with it!
Hehe my husband built my coop and when he would mention something that was not perfect or did not turn out exactly how he wanted it I would remind him that we was build a glorified box that would be pooped on so perfect was not a concern :)

IMG_0221.JPG

Been super focused on finishing our remodel but I had a few minutes today to get back to the coop. I shot nails through the pressure treated 2x4's and the walls will be screwed to that. I am trying to build it in pieces so it can be taken down, moved or god forbid sold should I decide to give up chicken ranching some day. This section of wall is one side of the coop, the rest will be the enclosed run.

Mike

I like the way you think!
Figuring out the roof was a nice workout for my brain and will be a bear to lift off but will be removable in one piece that will fit in the back of a pick up truck. Like the title says, I don't even have chickens yet but I hope I enjoy having them as much as I enjoy designing and building stuff. Come to think of it, once I get my welding shop all set up I could see a light weight, all aluminum construction, tig welded addition lol. :D

Mike

a light weight, all aluminum construction, tig welded addition
Like the roof ;)

I know I had as much fun designing and building coop and run as Ido keeping chickens, but then there was design/build withdrawal :( but good news is, there's always something to tweak and improve with chicken housing.

I cannot believe that it's been so long since I've i started this, and no i still don't have chickens lol.

So much life had put the breaks on this project but now I am trying to finish the coop/run before having surgery in a couple weeks so that we can get chickens when we get back from a road trip/vacation to Utah we are committed to in early April...

IMG_0658.JPG

How I left it...
Tomorrow there will be progress I swear!

ike

Back
Top Bottom