My first coop, first chickens (don't even have them yet!lol)

no, i didn't think about making one till it was half built, since they wouldn't get the whole idea I figured I would just post lots of pictures of the end product.
plus I just used some basic plans for the outside (modified a little), but the inside will be super cool! I'm calling it "Lai Lai Erets" (in Hebrew which is part of my heritage) translated to "La La Land"...... Because my family always says I'm in "Chicken La La Land".

I'm really hoping to get this thing finished in less than 2 years and as November is fast approaching (I started in Nov 2017!) I figured that I should get to work! Honestly, life has just gotten in the way but I'm not in a hurry.

Yesterday I got the roof sheathing on but then ran out of drip edge so hopefully I can pick up a stick of that today and then start putting down the rolled roofing. I hate ladders so I'm looking forward to that part being done!

IMG_1842.JPG

Tje two parallel boards on the right will hold up the poop board. The coop floor is sloped and will get covered in linoleum and have 2 doors on each end, both above and below the 2x6 on the far end and the 2x4 on the near end (btw, the red 4x4 is not part of the coop). Hopefully this thing is easy to keep clean!
IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG

Don't be fooled by the presence of a level, there isn't much on the coop that is perfectly square, plumb nor level lol

This is the opening for 3 nesting boxes that will hang off the outside.
IMG_7491.JPG

Anyways, it's still a work in progress but I'm just about finished (lot's of painting in my future...) and will hopefully be getting chicks in just a couple weeks.

Mike

Still plugging along on this as I have the time and money lol.
The run ended up right at 80 square feet. Between the run and free ranging that should be enough for 5 hens. I still need to add some roosts and pvc feeder, oyster and waterer.
The coop is 24 square feet with 6 feet of roosting bar over the removable poop board.
I need to finish the nesting boxes. There will be 3 about 14"x14".
All the unpainted plywood walls will be painted, obviously, and will be hinged to allow easy cleaning.
There is a lot of ventilation up top but should I add some vents in the walls as well? It gets hot here in the summer but not so much at night when they will be in the coop itself. I feel like I need a couple more vents down low to help with air circulation. Any advise appreciated!
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1085.JPG

Still plugging along on this as I have the time and money lol.
The run ended up right at 80 square feet. Between the run and free ranging that should be enough for 5 hens. I still need to add some roosts and pvc feeder, oyster and waterer.
The coop is 24 square feet with 6 feet of roosting bar over the removable poop board.
I need to finish the nesting boxes. There will be 3 about 14"x14".
All the unpainted plywood walls will be painted, obviously, and will be hinged to allow easy cleaning.
There is a lot of ventilation up top but should I add some vents in the walls as well? It gets hot here in the summer but not so much at night when they will be in the coop itself. I feel like I need a couple more vents down low to help with air circulation. Any advise appreciated!
View attachment 1784754 View attachment 1784755 View attachment 1784757 View attachment 1784760 View attachment 1784761
nice!

Also, I have been cultivating the dirt inside the coop this whole time. It is full of seeds, worms and grubs, totally ready to be dug up by some chickens!

If it doesn't rain tomorrow (rain everyday in May in San Diego, WTF!) I will get to painting and will be ready for chickens!

Woo hoo! Got it done in less than 2 years lol.

Mike

We got 6, 1 year old laying hens for free today!!! The coop is not 100% done nor is the nesting box but they are happy scratching around down below! Woohoo, we are chicken parents!!!
IMG_1093.JPG

there are 3 different varieties, two of each and i would love to know what kind they are (the previous owner did not know).
I am so happy lol,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom