My first swollen crop issue

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop
In 10 years of chickenkeeping, this is my first swollen crop - so unfamiliar territory.
The crop is very large and round and does feel 'squishy' (although not in a 'liquid' sense - feels more fatty-squishy). My husband said he noticed it swollen yesterday.
How to know if this is pendulous, sour (I have a cold and can't smell well, but don't smell anything) or something else?
Edit to add: She's not lethargic and not isolating at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20220404_205601898.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220404_205601898.MP.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
First of all, sour crop doesn't always have a sour smell. An impacted crop more often smells due to zero movement of the contents and has begun to ferment and rot, so it has an awful unmistakable odor.

To help figure out what you're dealing with, try some extended massage, focusing your finger tips in the center mass with the objective of breaking it up and helping the crop clear.

If the crop contents don't break up, it's most likely impacted. If the contents break up and go down some, but come back right away, it's likely sour crop. If the contents break up and go down, and you can feel the crop mostly empty, then you may be dealing with pendulous crop.

Do not worry about her eating. With crop issues, the patient knows better what she needs, and won't be inclined to eat with impacted or sour crop. Pendulous crop has so enlarged the crop that the appetite isn't hampered as completely as the other two issues. Because starvation is a risk in all crop issues, withholding food is not something I advise.

@jonalisa

Sorry your girl is ailing. A crop only becomes pendulous after it's been stretched out to the point of never returning to normal, which usually takes months of being distended.

Crops can only be checked first thing in the morning as this is the only time they should be empty, during the day they can feel all sorts of funky ways.

That grit you feel at the bottom of the crop is yeast that is developing. If I were you I would start her on Acidified Copper Sulfate, it kills yeasts and bacteria responsible for this imbalance in her crop and digestive tract. You can get this stuff at Twin City Poultry here... https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=340

When you use a crop bra you have to start with it fairly loose so that you don't force stuff up. Just tight enough to provide a bit of support. If the crop goes down some you readjust and tighten as it goes to continue to provide support. It can take many adjustments, many times, to get it right. I had a hen with pendulous crop that took 2-3 days for it to go down enough to get the bra in it's final correct fit, and then she lived in it for about 18 months until she eventually passed. Crop issues can be tough to narrow down, it could be stretched from her eating so much, or it may be due to slowed digestion from another issue farther down.

Thanks, all, for your support. :)
Sorry to complain earlier - just never encountered this issue ...and my girl is 10, so overly worried that I suddenly don't know what I'm doing. :)

This morning her crop is smaller but still tennis ball-size and feels like a lot of the liquid is gone. Feels now like completely full with heavy, wet sand and hangs down and to the right.. I syringed olive oil and massaged it for about 10 minutes. She seems a little more comfortable. Will continue to do this (how often?)
(She had the crop bra on all night.)
I don't feel any solid or specific obstruction, but do feel some undigested feed - a gravel feel. (I feed crumbles).
At this point, should I remove feed and yogurt and give only water? She did eat some wet feed this morning.

She's crated in my kitchen. Should I let her outside?
Thank you again.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with this, but I just want you to know you are being heard. Sometimes it takes a while for folks to get around to responding. It sounds like you are doing a good job.
I appreciate it.
I'm on other sites seeing what help I can get. Thanks.

@jonalisa

Sorry your girl is ailing. A crop only becomes pendulous after it's been stretched out to the point of never returning to normal, which usually takes months of being distended.

Crops can only be checked first thing in the morning as this is the only time they should be empty, during the day they can feel all sorts of funky ways.

That grit you feel at the bottom of the crop is yeast that is developing. If I were you I would start her on Acidified Copper Sulfate, it kills yeasts and bacteria responsible for this imbalance in her crop and digestive tract. You can get this stuff at Twin City Poultry here... https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=340
I ordered it, thank you!

Thanks, all, for your support. :)
Sorry to complain earlier - just never encountered this issue ...and my girl is 10, so overly worried that I suddenly don't know what I'm doing. :)

This morning her crop is smaller but still tennis ball-size and feels like a lot of the liquid is gone. Feels now like completely full with heavy, wet sand and hangs down and to the right.. I syringed olive oil and massaged it for about 10 minutes. She seems a little more comfortable. Will continue to do this (how often?)
(She had the crop bra on all night.)
I don't feel any solid or specific obstruction, but do feel some undigested feed - a gravel feel. (I feed crumbles).
At this point, should I remove feed and yogurt and give only water? She did eat some wet feed this morning.

She's crated in my kitchen. Should I let her outside?
Thank you again.

I ordered it, thank you!
Great that you got the Copper ordered! Never withhold food or water with slow crops, things may be slow but food is still getting through her and she needs the calories and energy. You can let her out of a cage but don't let her eat grass or any foliage, things that the gizzard needs to grind as its just going to slow the crop down more. So soft foods and water soluble foods only. I would stick to crumbles, chopped apples are wonderful yeast busters and add hydration. Definitely plain no sugar yogurt if you have it.

When you get the Copper Sulfate.... I usually mix up enough for a few days, I get an old milk jug and add 1\4 teaspoon Copper to a gallon of water. Its Acidified which means Acidic Acid has been added to combat the bitter taste, but I always add 1Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to make it more paletable, sometimes its hard to get them started drinking the copper and the vinegar helps. It will also help her digestion and yeast infection. Shake the jug once a day and give her water from this jug. It should last several days and then make another batch. Use this as her sole drinking water for 7 to 10 days. She can hang out with the others so they don't forget her.

Back
Top Bottom