My flock carries Mareks, yet I have chicks on the way (6 days till)

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Can anyone give me some info here. I have a broody hen with 6 days left to day 21. I have lost 3 chickens now to Mareks. It just hit me yesterday that my chicks won't be vaccinated (all my other chickens are). Is it possible for me to vaccinate the chicks myself or is that only something the big hatcheries and breeders can do? I would be very sad if I end up losing a whole bunch of chicks to it. Thank you!

You can order the Mareks vaccine (1000 doses) with a freezer bag and container for not too much. It has to be used within an hour of mixing. The chicks must be kept from any exposure to feather dander or dust as well as chickens in your coop for at least 2 weeks. Unfortunately, your broody hen is probably a carrier. The chicks still would be exposed to it eventually, and be carriers, but if they had some immunity, they might have a better chance to not get symptoms. Not all chickens will get Mareks in a flock, but it can be a terrible disease.

Last edited:
You can order the Mareks vaccine (1000 doses) with a freeer bag and container for not too much. It has to be used within an hour of mixing. The chicks must be kept from any exposure to feather dander or dust as well as chickens in your coop for at least 2 weeks. Unfortunately, your broody hen is probably a carrier. The chicks still would be exposed to it eventually, and be carriers, but if they had some immunity, they might have a better chance to not get symptoms. Not all chickens will get Mareks in a flock, but it can be a terrible disease.
Okay thank you! I will order some right now.

Can anyone give me some info here. I have a broody hen with 6 days left to day 21. I have lost 3 chickens now to Mareks. It just hit me yesterday that my chicks won't be vaccinated (all my other chickens are). Is it possible for me to vaccinate the chicks myself or is that only something the big hatcheries and breeders can do? I would be very sad if I end up losing a whole bunch of chicks to it. Thank you!
How are your chicks doing?

How are your chicks doing?
Great so far! Haven't lost one. None are showing signs of anything. However I bet now that I say that im gonna have problems😂. But I got mostly black chickens. One lavender, one barred with some white growing on his/her chest, then one that appears to be barred but like a gold and black barring, then one blue (production blue/BlueCM), the rest are black and one is a blackCM with a BlueCM so im excited to see it feather out (I believe it is just a blue split black maran, but the French gene is showing which im excited about).

Great so far! Haven't lost one. None are showing signs of anything. However I bet now that I say that im gonna have problems😂. But I got mostly black chickens. One lavender, one barred with some white growing on his/her chest, then one that appears to be barred but like a gold and black barring, then one blue (production blue/BlueCM), the rest are black and one is a blackCM with a BlueCM so im excited to see it feather out (I believe it is just a blue split black maran, but the French gene is showing which im excited about).
I’m glad that they’re doing well! What are you planning to do with any extra cockerels, since they can’t be sold or given away?
A blue split black would be blue, since the blue gene isn’t recessive (the lavender gene is recessive, though).

I’m glad that they’re doing well! What are you planning to do with any extra cockerels, since they can’t be sold or given away?
A blue split black would be blue, since the blue gene isn’t recessive (the lavender gene is recessive, though).
Oh jeez, so sorry I didn't see this. Oh okay, I thought I understood the whole split thing but I guess not😂. Anyways its black like the hen it came from but my one and only rooster is blue. I will ask around locally for anyone that wants them for a few bucks. Otherwise freezer camp, Ive got plenty of CX almost of age and I harvest my quail too so I might as well give them to someone looking for a good rooster. If any show any aggression I won't be giving them away though.

Oh jeez, so sorry I didn't see this. Oh okay, I thought I understood the whole split thing but I guess not😂. Anyways its black like the hen it came from but my one and only rooster is blue. I will ask around locally for anyone that wants them for a few bucks. Otherwise freezer camp, Ive got plenty of CX almost of age and I harvest my quail too so I might as well give them to someone looking for a good rooster. If any show any aggression I won't be giving them away though.
Definitely don’t give them to anyone who doesn’t already have Marek’s in their flock. It’s extremely contagious and your roosters will infect any other chicken they come into contact with.

Back
Top Bottom