My friend wants a pet duck

Could you lend her a couple of your ducks? That way she can get the experience of what ownership entails, and can return them to you if necessary.
How about a guinea pig instead? They are friendly, easy to care for, and not too expensive in terms of food and bedding.
I don't really want to because my ducklings bonded with me an whenever they are away from me they start peeping very loudly. I love the guinea pig idea though

I'll need to ask her but I think she already knows that they can't be potty trained

Obviously not lol. I tried to give her some coop ideas that were easy
The two in front are mine. They behave like a married couple. Wherever he goes she goes and vice versa. They aren't messy but their poop smells worse than my guineas or chickens. It reminds me of breastfed baby poop 🤮
He makes no noise at all and she just does little grunts when I'm in her way.
I know you said they were ugly buuuuuut.....😂
I would suggest reading all of the sticky posts in this forum because there's always something that will surprise you (or her).

Attachments

• 1DFA6E6D-4743-474F-A4D3-EF324057BE4C.jpeg
    1DFA6E6D-4743-474F-A4D3-EF324057BE4C.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 9
The two in front are mine. They behave like a married couple. Wherever he goes she goes and vice versa. They aren't messy but their poop smells worse than my guineas or chickens. It reminds me of breastfed baby poop 🤮
He makes no noise at all and she just does little grunts when I'm in her way.
I know you said they were ugly buuuuuut.....😂
I would suggest reading all of the sticky posts in this forum because there's always something that will surprise you (or her).
I will read the posts later. Thank you for your response :D

Hmmm I only have Muscovies and mine definitely aren't ugly :)
The females tend to be less ugly than the males because they don't get as much red caruncle on their face. Let me just say if she wants them purely as pets, Pekins probably are not the best option. They are bred for meat so they are very heavy, and it also causes a lot of leg and foot problems for them, meaning the vet bills will probably be higher than other breeds of ducks.

Attachments

• 20210328_143920.jpg
    20210328_143920.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210310_182739.jpg
    20210310_182739.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 8
Hmmm I only have Muscovies and mine definitely aren't ugly :)
The females tend to be less ugly than the males because they don't get as much red caruncle on their face. Let me just say if she wants them purely as pets, Pekins probably are not the best option. They are bred for meat so they are very heavy, and it also causes a lot of leg and foot problems for them, meaning the vet bills will probably be higher than other breeds of ducks.
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Muscovies are no good for new duck owners. Pekins are prone to a crap ton if health issues and not something they will want to take on. Swedish would be my best recommendation. They are friendly like Pekins, but much more colorful and easier to care for health wise.

My ducks are NOT messy much it depends how nicely you care for them and the breed you have. My Cayugas are not really messy and my drake is the loudest. Although I agree what you said about research I don't want her to hand her ducks to me if she gives up taking care of them I already have plenty of ducks. She plans on keeping them outside though. I'll show her what you wrote later.
Your Cayuga drake is noisy? My Cayuga hen is very noisy! The females are more talkative. Ducks are very messy.

Back
Top Bottom