my gander is bleeding from his leg help please

Since the bleeding has stopped you can clean the wound with Hydrogen Peroxide then use a band aide that the gauze with cover the wound and then wrap first aid tape around the band aid to keep him/her from picking at it. I would keep the little darling say in the garage or penned in the house for a day just to see how he/she is doing.

I may be wrong but I thought hydrogen peroxide was a no go on birds? I think I'll just have my bf keep a close eye on him and then wrap him up when I get done work. I'd be worrying the whole time about him. More than I'm going to.

Absolutely not, I have used it on my birds when the pecking order was being established as they were getting older and one of the birds got a nasty scratch on top of her head and bleeding, we saw it just in time. I cleaned her up and she was good to go the last thing I wanted was the chance of infection, the stuff works great!

It's fine to use Hydrogen peroxide once to clean a wound from all I've read it's not good to continue to use it because he works against new skin that is growing over the wound.

Absolutely not, I have used it on my birds when the pecking order was being established as they were getting older and one of the birds got a nasty scratch on top of her head and bleeding, we saw it just in time. I cleaned her up and she was good to go the last thing I wanted was the chance of infection, the stuff works great!
welcome-byc.gif

Miss Lydia sent me a pm asking me to provide input on this thread. Sounds like everything is well under control by now and hope your boy is well on the mend.... but here is my 2 cents if ever faced with a bleeding goose.

Apply pressure to stop bleeding is 1st priority. Applying sterile gauze to wound, then vet wrapping should do the trick. If that does not work, silver nitrate sticks are good to use. I've also seen my vet use ky jelly to assist with stopping bleeding on a goose's eyelid.

As for cleaning wounds, hydrogen peroxide is a good solution. However, it is usually preferable to clean wound by soaking area in a diluted betadine solution (the color of light tea).

Generally speaking, I have found birds are extremely resilient and heal quickly without much (if any) interference by us good intentioned but sometimes overly meddlesome humans.
wink.png

That looks bad espically the location oh and i think it it got caught something unless a small pred bit its foot like a mink! But i would get bandage and cotton wool soaked in swedish herb medicine if you have it to help it :)

That looks bad espically the location oh and i think it it got caught something unless a small pred bit its foot like a mink! But i would get bandage and cotton wool soaked in swedish herb medicine if you have it to help it
smile.png
serv what's in Swedish herb med. ? maybe we have it but haven't heard it called that.

Well thats what i think its called ?! My sister (vet) uses it to defect infections and heal wounds fast ,she uses it for dogs cats birds reptiles and it works good ill try to find a pic of the medicine since i dont have it now

Back
Top Bottom