My Goldfish Needs Help!!!

Awwww, so sorry.
sad.png

I was a moderator on a very popular aquarium fish site at one point. My specialty was goldfish and cold weather fish, but I'm versed in many fish. There are many different opinions on fish husbandry, but I've got my own...
smile.png

How are the other fish doing? It's great that you have them in such a large space. In my experience (including the views from those on my board), it's most important for goldfish keepers to keep their nitrAtes down. I'm not certain how versed you are in fish lingo... but this is done with regular water changes. If you have a water test kit... (the liquid ones are more reliable than the strip ones)... it's important to test this. I always kept my goldfish at under 20 parts nitrAtes. Nitrates are the end result production of the biological cycling procedure.

High nitrAtes could exacerbate a swimblader condition. Fancy goldfish, especially those that are inbred and sold in many commercial pet stores are INCREDIBLY susceptible to this. A couple tips that help: Feed a sinking pellet so that the fish doesn't take in a great deal of air while eating, and feed peas once a week. This also works well with bettas. Peas act as a laxative. I would also fast my fish for one day a week. Also... what type of substrate are they on? Goldfish often swallow what is small enough to fit in their mouth. This could lead to floating problems.

If you have any other fish questions, I'd be glad to try and help with the knowledge I have.

I'm quite sorry to hear about the passing of your goldie. I know how hard that can be!

Back
Top Bottom