My Goose has stoped walking.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Joe1506, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Joe1506

Joe1506 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Help, I have noticed my goose is laying more than usual. I was watching her this morning and she is not standing up anymore. I stud her up myself and she walked, still eating and drinking, but she is eating alot of dirt.. Also noticed when she waged her tail she fell down. I don't have anything that could have hurt her, she is in an very larg fenced in back yard with a male gooes. Also when I picked her up, a bit of slimy water came out of her mouth. Can anyone help?

2. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Oh no, that sounds terrible. Last year my duck (who wasn't laying) starting acting very lethargic. She was very slow and slept a lot. She even stopped eating for a while. I was very concerned but as the days progressed she slowly improved. I did add salt and sugar to their water and sanitized their food and water dish, changed their hay etc. I was close to getting some meds from the vet.
    Hopefully she will improve.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    could your gander have hurt her while they were mating? do they have a pool of some kind to mate in?

4. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    She may have eaten something toxic, or there is always a possibility of botulism or samonella,... I'd get her confined and with fresh grass, feed and water , maybe poultry vitamins and keep an eye on her. I have had one or two seem ill or weak , but then recover, and then I lost two youngsters last year with Neurological symptoms......

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is your goose doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by