My GrandChick is SO clever!

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Buffy has been bringing her solo hatchling out into the run every day. She hasn't been going beyond the run nearly as much as that very first day when Sam/antha was 9 days old and Buffy finally decided it was time to come out of the A-Frame coop. They return to it every night, together. I keep a chick waterer in there, along with chick feed.

Well, out in the run, there are only waterers for Big Birds. Particularly, a 5 gallon bucket with poultry nipples, which is perched on top of a concrete block on its side, to make it tall enough for large fowl to reach UP to drink from them. When I started adding a few bantam breeds to the flock, I put a couple of bricks as stairs for the banties to reach the nipple waterers. But there's no way the GrandChick would be able to drink from those nipples. So I've put a couple of dishes with water in them all around the run. Always find them tipped over when I get home from work.

Well, last night, I'd just refilled 3 water dishes when I observed the GrandChick do something that simply blew me away.
41679_july13_001.jpg

See how high up the bucket is stationed??
41679_july13_004.jpg

Here's Sam, perched inside the upper opening, just looking around.
41679_july13_003.jpg

When the chick scampered over to the bricks, I thought, "Oh, poor thing, it's thirsty - good thing I just put fresh water out!" And I was about to go get one of those bowls of fresh water when it clambered up the banties' brick staircase, hopped into the top concrete block opening, and stretched up to take a drink.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom