My heart is broke...that stupid *** bear UPDATE!!!! Problem gone!

Quote:
You know it's a good thing that I have a sense of humor, or my feelings could be hurt LOL. Sorry phone rang and I forgot to finish the word, teach me to not proof read.

Quote:
Must... fight... Satan...

Must ... not... make ... bear... ass ... joke ...

lau.gif
lau.gif
Make my Day as Clint Eastwood would say!

Sorry you lost your birds and hope the bears wont be back for a good while. I hope your daughter will recover from the shock and start getting some ducklings soon.

Quote:
WHOA!!! That is scary!!
I have had chickens since 02 and never had a bear issue!! They usually free range!!!
Let me explain more the events of the morning, my Mom banged pots, my daughter got me up out of bed, I screamed, blew and air horn till it was drained then threw the horn at the coop, Unfortunately it did not hit the coop, lots of screaming, trying to get the paintball guns to work. When I got there it had already cleared a 3 foot fence with contractors fencing on top (I know no biggie) Then got through a chicken wire covered wood pallet, covered by grape vine also, ripped into a house window but a small one like for a bathroom, really we can not believe he fit in there, got into the pigeon area, ripped the door apart that was wood and wire, and ripped off chicken wire dividing the areas, now all these chickens and pigeons are trapped inside because they were not let out for the day yet. They were helpless. Some pigeons came out. He ripped a ducks head off, ripped our large roosters whole leg (drumstick) off his body, left parts undescribable all over and blood/guts splattered everywhere. Somewhere the cops were called in all this. They did not get there till after it was gone. He exited through the rusted chicken wire after he exited out the window again! It wasnt even his entry point!! There was an easier way in and he passed it by also! I think this thing is crazy! It is skinny and on the small side, maybe hungry because of overpopulation? The cops shot it with a rubber bullet but I bet it could be back as soon as the morning. The officer said it had babies with it but it never brought them out of the woods that we saw. I did see one in the woods yesterday but assumed it was with the other mom with three babies, and that doesnt count the 600 lb one with a limp!! So NINE bears going through our yard. I have never seen so many in all my years here.
Before today it had been coming back frequently. I did not know what it was for sure till I saw it run off with a chicken Sunday? I had a radio for the past week, I had the lights on all night when one was taken, I had been in and out all day, Sun/Mon. Banged on a cage pan to scare it away once. There was something really wrong with this bear. It was coming no matter what. I just pray I am not next!!!

"Good luck, I can only say that you are darn lucky that it went to the coop and not the basement, it knows about windows so be carefull. I will be keeping all of you from NJ in my extra prayers, I pray for BYC'S every night and say extra for those that have the need. Hang in there and watch close."

Thanks! I hope I get sleep!!

Wow, what a horrible thing for you to have to go through. I am so sorry for your losses.

It's bizarre that you are seeing so many bears all of a sudden. Perhaps there is some construction or logging going on somewhere that is pushing them into your area? I don't know that overpopulation would cause such a huge problem for you so fast. I would suspect there is something else going on. Possibly some first offender bears are being relocated to the woods near you?

I second what has been said about not giving up on having your birds, but focusing on getting more bear deterring measures set up there.

Good luck, and spend some quality time with your remaining girls. Nothing like a little chicken TV to cheer a girl up.

"although I might have to hire panner to dig a pit to bury it in,"

Yea that was a concern...

"I am so sorry for your loss, words do not cover a sorrow like this please hug your little girl and let her know we understand and care that she has lost her pets. Hugs to you as well."
Thanks I will
smile.png

"Maybe they can help maybe they can't but someone said to fight fire with fire and you fight bear huggers with bear hunters. Actually my brother has the belief that all hunters should band together even if you don't hunt that animal because if those huggers get one they will go for another till all hunting is banned. Kind of like NJ. If you are interested in contacting my brother about possiable help pm me, or they may be online now you could try google. Also we have a guy on the radio called Bill Moore the out spoken sportsman and he might be able to help you, I believe he has a web site and you could google him as well."

Thanks I will be checking into those things. It is so true, while I am not a hunter, I totally support it if it isnt just for fun. If you can use it why not!! There are plenty!

Thanks again to everyone, I appreciate the information and ideas. You know what has been creepy, there have been like no birds or small animals around. We thought the hawk was getting the squirrels but I wonder if everything backed away from it? It was SO odd to go outside and have it quiet!! It has been very eerie here lately!! Quiet birds, quiet chickens, quiet woodland animals..... not even crickets tonight! Come to think of it I havent seen the rabbit family and only saw the groundhog this morning, of course the chipmunk after my tomatoes is still around...

I would love to put bars over the window for the basement but we need to get out in a fire or emergency any ideas??

I would love to put bars over the window for the basement but we need to get out in a fire or emergency any ideas??

Hmmm, don't know about your frame depth or anything, but the quick and dirty bear proof window improvisation: Cut a section of 1" thick plywood so that it overlaps the outside of the window frame by two inches h&w. Drill a one inch hole in the center. Pick up a bolt/washer and wing nut (bolt might be a few bucks as it will need to be long enough to extend through plywood, window depth and the 2"x4" the bolt will slide through, that will serve as the locking arm on the inside of the frame. 2"x4" long enough to overlap inside frame by 4" on either side.

The plywood sheet would fit on outside of frame washer placed over drilled hole and bolt slipped through it. Bolt extends into interior through hole drilled in 2"x4" and wing nut is tightened down on the inside.

I'd think this would make it very difficult for the bear to gain purchase and, in the event of emergency all you'd need do is spin the wing nut off and push the plywood sheet over.

Anyway, it would work. And, of course one could drill firing ports through the plywood sheet as well. Just rub some burger on the outside, load the weapon, wait for the snorting and licking (probably get arrested for trolling for bear... bummer).​

Last edited:
Quote:
A baited hot wire. Very important to bait the wire with something that will attract the bear, like sardines in the can (peel the can open, thread wire through the can). A bear's coat is so thick it will bull right through an electric fence, if you bait it and they get a mouthful, that'll keep them away. Trust me, beekeepers have been doing this for years and years and it's the only thing that'll keep a bear away from a hive full of honey.

How are ya gonna keep a bear out of a coop? Get yourself a couple of blue heeler's (or red heeler's) and you will have no problem's. As for the bear...shoot to kill....That's all I got to say about that....Peace

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom