My hen’s got balls!

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
Lexi is my 6/7 month old Ameracauna mix and she is by far the most daring and curious chicken in my small flock of 5.

Cricket is my 3 year old irish wolfhound, mastiff and lab mix who is an amazing dog but has a lot of issues including leash reactivity and resource guarding that were rehomed with her from her previous owner.

In the grand scheme of things, Cricket’s resource guarding is at the bottom of my hierarchy of issues we need to work on. She gets a variety of chews, bones, dehydrated and raw animal parts to keep her teeth clean and her mind occupied. We give her the chews outside because of mess but to keep her away from the cats which are a trigger when she is chewing. It’s a pretty well known rule around here if you want to get Cricket’s chew from her, make sure to bring treats to make a trade with her.

Enter the chickens, namely Lexi. Cricket blends right in with them, we like to call her “Cricken” because she spends so much time with them and is basically a member of their flock even though she’s got 65lbs on them. A few weeks ago I gave Cricket a marrow bone and managed to snap this photo of Lexi and my lavender orpington Dori eating the meat with Cricket.
4D2866BC-4C3E-48A2-9115-D81F7359A391.jpeg

Yeah, ridiculous right? 😂

Today, Cricket got a dehydrated beef tendon/slab which was particularly crunchy. Lexi walked her little hen butt over there and started taking the bits of meat Cricket dropped, right from under her nose!
6FADF573-9A22-48B9-85B6-06250FF4DE34.jpeg

Keep in mind this is the same dog who starts growling as she sees one of the cats while she’s chewing, even across the room! Of course Cricket didn’t care, honestly I’m not sure she even knew the chicken was there.

I can truly say Cricket is one of the flock, but my hen’s got balls too!

Back
Top Bottom