My hen cut herself!

DairyChickenGal

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Virginia
I had posted about my hen losing her feathers in winter, and turns out that the reason why she was loosing her feathers (and stopped laying) was because she had cut her self on something. The cut is really deep. The skin around it is green and I'm worried about it getting infected.
Is there anything I can do?

I had posted about my hen losing her feathers in winter, and turns out that the reason why she was loosing her feathers (and stopped laying) was because she had cut her self on something. The cut is really deep. The skin around it is green and I'm worried about it getting infected.
Is there anything I can do?
If the skin around it is green, it is already infected.

Agrees that a pic would be most helpful...and I'll ask a mod to move this thread to the emergencies forum, where it might get better and quicker suggestions.

Last edited:
Agreed on green = infection. Really, the best course would be to provide a warm, secluded, quiet place, such as your bathtub, for a while. Apply antibiotic ointment once or twice a day (Nothing with "caine" drugs such as cetacaine or benzocaine" and perhaps give aspirin for pain (read here for wound care and aspirin dose. You might also consider Penicillin. Of course, a vet would be ideal, but not many here choose that route.)

If you must keep her outdoors, by all means provide a saddle. Here is an article on how to make your own, or you can purchae them in BST.

Back
Top Bottom