My hen finished brooding then laid 3 eggs in one day

Lidea teapot

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
Scotland
She finished brooding and laid as normal for three days including this morning. She was a citing normal till about 4 ish then she diapered. I found her in the nest box . I thought "I hope she's not going broody again but then I found a soft shell egg in the nest box . She came out for a banana but not with her vigorous self she seemed absolutely depressed then I found an other soft shell egg on the grass.shes only about one year old and this is my first broody. Can it be lack of calcium since she's been on chick crumb and she's a hybrid layer?

Well, you need to give her calcium on the side. It is odd that she laid 3 eggs in one day though... I have had a hen lay 2 in one day before, but that was when she was egg bound. Well, anyway, smash up some tums and give that to her. But as long as you have laying hens, even if they are eating chick feed, you need to make sure that they have calcium, oyster shell, on the side. She'll eat it when she needs it.

She's always got oyster shell except when she was with the chicks I gave them grit with no oyster cos I was told its not good for the chicks. She's out today looking happier and scratching about in the field the cows just left. I'll give her some calcium tablets and see how she is. Thanks I hate seeing my girls unhappy.

Back
Top Bottom