my hen walks around shaking

rays123

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
GA
I have 5 RIR hens there all about 3-4 mnth and one of them walks around shaking all the time. i dont think ive ever seen her stop. Can you guys help me out?
sad.png

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Is she shaking like she's having trouble with coordination or like she's itching? How long exactly has she been doing it?
What type of bedding is she on? Food is she eating? etc.
Probably need a bit more info or even a small film clip uploaded would be very helpful to get an answer from someone for you so they can see exactly what you mean on what she is doing. Good luck and I know someone on here will be able to help you.

Quote:
idk really she can walk fine and it doesnt seem to be itching its just a constant shaking. pine shavings and shes eating layer pellets and occasionally warm oats

Quote:
i dont think so bc during the day when its warmer( 50ish degrees) she still does it

Funny to read this, because I have one that does that as well. She hatched from my own birds and she has done it since she was born.
She is also weak in her balance. Most of the time she is fine, but if you put her on anything other than her shavings, she is quick to stumble to one side and fall over. She gets back up and tries again.
She has always been a weak one and I just didn't have the heart to cull her. I don't give her any special treatment and she has made it fine.
She is a mixed chicken, but her mom is a RIR.
I hope someone can tell us what it is.
idunno.gif

Here is the link to my post where I asked this question about mine originally...someone thought maybe brain damage?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=97639

~Rebecca

Last edited:
yea well maybe someone will be able to help us out im beginning to think its possibly some type of vitamin deficiany but im prob wrong but hey its a good guess

It sounds like it could be some type of neurological disorder. If she's always been like that and she's doing well there may not be anything you can do. As long as her quality of life is good (and it sounds like it is) maybe you should wait and see...

ETA: Instead of saying to wait and see, I guess what I was really thinking was that if you mess around with different treatments without really knowing what the cause is you may do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom