My hen wants to be a rooster :(

Bubble&Squeak

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
So, I've heard of this happening. I want to know if anyone has any advise. My sweet little hen, who was a total lap chicken up until 5 months old, is now trying to act like a tough rooster. She's even biting me if I pet or handle one of the other hens. She also gives you the "stink eye" and kinda stands off with you if you get too close. We have been just letting her bite and pretending that it's not a big threat. We thought this would make her stop being such a meany, but no luck. What can we do to make her our sweet little lady again? AND, here's the big question... will she stop laying eggs if she assumes the role of a rooster?

So confused,
Jessi in Ft. Myers, FL

OK - easy stuff here - she will continue to lay eggs.

You however are lower on the pecking order than she is or she would never dare bite you. The only way to fix this is to move yourself up the order & that requires a challenge!

If this were a rooster being mean you would grab him up by the feet & hold him until he gives up. You can do the same for the hen. She will throw a holy fit when you do it so be ready for a lot of flapping.

A gentler way is to give her the stink eye too & chase her around every so often so she knows she is not above you on the order.

All perfectly normal behavior - if it wasn't her it would be the next one in line so removing her will not solve the problem. You have to go in there & be the head hen!

Gender confusion in chickens?
pop.gif

Has sHe layed eggs already?

i make mine squat with my hand and do a little shake (with my hand) like i was a rooster and mating her..that seems to calm mine down.

She is most definitely a she and laying eggs. It's so weird because she doesn't even seem to be at the top of the pecking order with the others. They pick on her, but she just runs away. She's only aggressive with us which makes me sad because we spent so much time with them as babies to make them sweet. I will defintely try the up-side down trick. That sounds good. Thanks for all the support. This forum is the BEST!

-Jessi

we had that prob with one that my uncle gave us and she was fighting our roosters, she stoped after limping and getting a bloody comb. The female duck nursed her lol... but she actually has spurs. I haven't noticed her laying any eggs here either.

Maybe I need to get a rooster to keep her in check. I tried the up-side-down trick and it was successful for about a half an hour. Then I had to do it again and again. The neighbors must think I'm crazy. I think maybe she'll get it eventually. It might just take a while, though.

Thanks for all the tips!
-Jessi

Back
Top Bottom