My hens are eating my rooster

Jaron_Green

Hatching
Nov 21, 2022
Hello!

I need help with my rooster chanticleer. About two years ago he was involved in an accident wherein he became paralyzed. Luckily after months of treatment he recovered enough to be able to walk around by himself again. He's basically all better except he still sometimes falls down when turning but he can get back up on his own. The problem comes in with the hens. They've decided that his legs taste good and have been picking at them none stop, opening up wounds on his legs. We've separated him from them until they heal but today I thought he was healed enough and put him back out with them only for them to start pecking his legs again. I sometimes use rooster booster peck-no-more but it only has a temporary effectiveness.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to prevent the hens from hurting chanticleer?

Thank you all!

Hello!

I need help with my rooster chanticleer. About two years ago he was involved in an accident wherein he became paralyzed. Luckily after months of treatment he recovered enough to be able to walk around by himself again. He's basically all better except he still sometimes falls down when turning but he can get back up on his own. The problem comes in with the hens. They've decided that his legs taste good and have been picking at them none stop, opening up wounds on his legs. We've separated him from them until they heal but today I thought he was healed enough and put him back out with them only for them to start pecking his legs again. I sometimes use rooster booster peck-no-more but it only has a temporary effectiveness.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to prevent the hens from hurting chanticleer?

Thank you all!
Please, post photos of the rooster and his legs.

Thank you!

It would really help if we could see his feet and legs.
If he's constantly being picked at by others, the only solution may be to give him his own space. If there are 2 or 3 girls that don't bother him, put those with him. Even just one will work so he's not lonely. I have an old rooster (a very good, special boy) that has some issues, so he lives in his own enclosure with 3 of my older hens. He's much happier, has company, and my older girls really appreciate not having the attention from my younger roo's.

It would really help if we could see his feet and legs.
If he's constantly being picked at by others, the only solution may be to give him his own space. If there are 2 or 3 girls that don't bother him, put those with him. Even just one will work so he's not lonely. I have an old rooster (a very good, special boy) that has some issues, so he lives in his own enclosure with 3 of my older hens. He's much happier, has company, and my older girls really appreciate not having the attention from my younger roo's.
Hello! Thank you for your input. There's been several good ideas provided in this post that will be very useful. Interestingly enough I started feeding my chickens more dried grubs and they stopped picking at my rooster. I think they were just craving protien and he was the only source. However if the problem starts again I'll try some of the above mentioned ideas. Thank you very much for your concern and help : )

If they are not pecking the toes, not legs, make him leg socks without feet. Maybe a nylon material would work.
That's definitely a great idea! Luckily the hens seemed to have stopped picking on him since I started feeding them more dried grubs. I think they needed protein. But if they start again I think that little socks would be perfect. Thank you : )

Hello! Thank you for your input. There's been several good ideas provided in this post that will be very useful. Interestingly enough I started feeding my chickens more dried grubs and they stopped picking at my rooster. I think they were just craving protien and he was the only source. However if the problem starts again I'll try some of the above mentioned ideas. Thank you very much for your concern and help : )
A high protein feed would be better, grubs have high fat.

Back
Top Bottom