My hens vent is extremely impacted!

RubyNala97

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY
My hens vent is a solid rock of poop. It looks very painful. I have a pic. I'm soaking her in warm water as week speak. I don't want to pull on it for fear I would prolapse her. Please help!!

She may already have a prolapse. Try to soften it with a warm water rag, then it will be easier to wipe off

Wow that looks nasty! Does she have a wound under there? In the last picture it almost looks like she has a giant scab under the poop. Taking her to the vet is probably the best thing to do. Keep us posted!

Oh, my... That scab *could* be from gleet scald, which is caused by a yeast infection.

I am sorry about your mama... Getting her cleaned up as soon as possible is a great idea. I'd trim the feathers in that area... It sounds like it could be infected if there's a smell, but vent gleet also smells pretty rank.

Taking her to the vet is ideal.

Let us know what they say.

MrsB

Wow that looks nasty! Does she have a wound under there? In the last picture it almost looks like she has a giant scab under the poop. Taking her to the vet is probably the best thing to do. Keep us posted!

It looks like a giant scab! I've never had a prolapse before or an egg bound hen, so I don't know. She's acting totally normal but her crop is empty. I was sitting there watching her and I just noticed it. I didn't see it before. I feel bad I didn't catch it sooner. I've been feeding them a lot of table scraps the last few days, now I'm worrying that was a bad idea. We're sitting at the vets now waiting. The vet that's on call specializes in birds, so I hope I made the right choice.

Oh, my... That scab *could* be from gleet scald, which is caused by a yeast infection.

I am sorry about your mama... Getting her cleaned up as soon as possible is a great idea. I'd trim the feathers in that area... It sounds like it could be infected if there's a smell, but vent gleet also smells pretty rank.

Taking her to the vet is ideal.

Let us know what they say.

MrsB

Yes, I was just reading about vent gleet. It smells terrible!!! We're waiting for the dr now. I will definitely update!

Ok, we saw the vet. She said it looks like a wound with a giant scab over it and lots of hard, dead tissue. No prolapse, no egg binding. The vent is clear, it's the tissue right under the vent. But her crop and intestines is empty. The dr wants me to spray the area with the vetricyn spray I have at home, 2xday and then give her oral antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and pain medicine. If this doesn't work she wants to biopsy it, but I can't afford to take it that far. I'm going to keep her in a cage in the house and try to get her eating and drinking. :fl that this all works! Thank you all for the fast advice. Any other input?

I'd also watch for leaking fluid from her vent, just in case.

Keep her in a warm, dim, quiet place to discourage egg production and let her rest. :) High-protein food like boiled eggs will help her rebuild tissue.

What antibiotic did the vet give you?

Have you seen her drink anything? If she goes off water, you will need to tube her liquid to help her long enough for the meds to work.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom