My husband thinks I got eggless chickens!

FinsUp

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
lake oswego flats
I'm starting to agree! February chicks and only 2 of 8 are laying. Both BR. The RSL and Delawares are not, but they are the largest with the reddest combs and have been squatting for a couple of weeks. Crazy jokers with their egg song then nothing. Eggless chickens I tell you - Eggless!!

Same here! I have two RIR and two BSL, only one of the BSL is laying. They all will be 24 weeks old this Thursday! UGH! The other BSL doesn't even look close, but the two RIR look like they should have been laying ages ago.
52367_dscn3608.jpg

The one is the back is my layer. Those two of front are fretting the crap out of me. LOL!!

A watched pot never boils..........
tongue.png
Those eggs are coming soon! That squatting is a sure signal that they're ready to lay. Messing around the nest boxes, making the egg song.......Very soon, Grasshopper, very soon!
wink.png

If they are allowed to free range, check around, they may be hiding them someplace. Just because you provide them nesting boxes, it doesn't mean they'll use them. So birds never get the memo.
smile.png

I had an uncovered run. We never seen a chicken outside of it. I'd been expecting ours to lay but nothing. One day we spotted one BR loose. When we went to get her we found 4 eggs. She had been jumping/flying out of the run (5 foot), laying the eggs, then returning like nothing had happened. Put up some fencing to cover the run, and now we have eggs every day. Some of the others started to lay soon afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom