My husband thinks I got eggless chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FinsUp, Aug 24, 2010.

1. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    I'm starting to agree! February chicks and only 2 of 8 are laying. Both BR. The RSL and Delawares are not, but they are the largest with the reddest combs and have been squatting for a couple of weeks. Crazy jokers with their egg song then nothing. Eggless chickens I tell you - Eggless!!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    What are you feeding them? I suspect you are right on the edge of the rest of them laying.

3. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Same here! I have two RIR and two BSL, only one of the BSL is laying. They all will be 24 weeks old this Thursday! UGH! The other BSL doesn't even look close, but the two RIR look like they should have been laying ages ago. [​IMG]

The one is the back is my layer. Those two of front are fretting the crap out of me. LOL!!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

February...they will be laying any day now... patience... [​IMG]

5. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    patience is over rated!

6. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Now watch, you'll go outside and find more eggs. [​IMG]

It'll be any day now. Promise.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Take a crockpot or stew pot out there and threaten the eggs out of them! [​IMG]

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    A watched pot never boils..........[​IMG] Those eggs are coming soon! That squatting is a sure signal that they're ready to lay. Messing around the nest boxes, making the egg song.......Very soon, Grasshopper, very soon! [​IMG]

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If they are allowed to free range, check around, they may be hiding them someplace. Just because you provide them nesting boxes, it doesn't mean they'll use them. So birds never get the memo.[​IMG]

10. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I had an uncovered run. We never seen a chicken outside of it. I'd been expecting ours to lay but nothing. One day we spotted one BR loose. When we went to get her we found 4 eggs. She had been jumping/flying out of the run (5 foot), laying the eggs, then returning like nothing had happened. Put up some fencing to cover the run, and now we have eggs every day. Some of the others started to lay soon afterwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by