My Ivy.. Latest Relapse...She's Gone

You guys ready for more tears? When DH went to put up everyone for the night, Olivia was sitting under the ramp. He put her into the coop and shut the door. When he went back out to check on them, Olivia was laying in the floor of the coop with Lexie standing guard over her. Olivia wasn't one of the originals, but she was from the first hatch I ever did here that included Suede, one year after I first got Lexie and Ivy's group, so she is over three and a half years old now. Lexie is watching her coop mates die one by one and I can only imagine what she's thinking and feeling, poor girl.

This is sweet little Livvie in happier days:

DCP_4365.jpg

No, she isn't gone, but she's in bad shape, very bad, just like Ivy. I'm sorry I wasn't clear--should have read that to myself. The tear jerker part, the part that choked me up was Lexie watching over Olivia. My old ladies coop isn't going to have anyone in it soon.

Bummer, indeed, Carla. Olivia is the only one who has had this ailment who is not a hatchery girl. Her mother was a hatchery BR, but her dad was some sort of Cochin/Silkie cross. This is the curse in my flock, this internal laying/egg peritonitis crap.

That's sweet, AttackChicken, but even a vet can't help these girls. Even if I did a hysterectomy on every hatchery girl I have, the infection/poison is all through their abdomen and around their organs.

The only originals I have now are Lexie, Reba and Sunny, out of the ten. Lost two RIRs, three SLWs plus Ginger and Ivy.

Back
Top Bottom