My journey/blog of starting my business

Jaeden Mckinley

Songster
Apr 2, 2022
This is my journey to starting my stand at a local farmers' market, Now that fall is right around the corner, I can start thinking and planning out my future garden and the type of produce I will be growing. Lately, I have been searching the internet for ways I could begin my journey searching the far corners of youtube and google to find information, but it is still not enough so I came on here to share about my journey and learn new things along the way. This week I will slowly start to invest some of my allowances; my budget is just over $250, and I hope to make it all back in the future. :woot

In this day and age, it makes too much sense to start gardening. Good luck to you.

Where are you located?

What kind of acreage are you working with?

What kind of crops are you thinking about?
I'm located in central Minnesota.

I'm working with around 1-2 acres.

I haven't thought about the crops, what I was thinking of doing was, going around to the local farmers' markets and seeing what people are selling, and what produce customers are purchasing.

Last edited:
Earlier today I went ahead and purchased my first tiller it costed around $150 I got it from my uncle so he lowered the price to $50, it is a cub cadet 5hp, and it runs very well. :woot

Attachments

• 20220726_201326.jpg
    20220726_201326.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220726_201320.jpg
    20220726_201320.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 1
Earlier this year I had the idea to start my own business, and right now it looks like going it is going to work out. This fall I have been collecting and gathering seeds from the plants that we grew this year. I used the tomato jar method and they have worked great so far.

This is my journey to starting my stand at a local farmers' market, Now that fall is right around the corner, I can start thinking and planning out my future garden and the type of produce I will be growing. Lately, I have been searching the internet for ways I could begin my journey searching the far corners of youtube and google to find information, but it is still not enough so I came on here to share about my journey and learn new things along the way. This week I will slowly start to invest some of my allowances; my budget is just over $250, and I hope to make it all back in the future. :woot
Good for you. It will be hard work but it will be worth it.

Here are some things I learned about gardening, with the plan to grow food for me and my husband, and share with neighbors.

Plant heirloom or "open pollinated" varieties if you want to save the seed. Hybrids do not breed true.

Compost is called "black gold" for a reason: it is what feeds the soil, which feeds the plants, which feed you.

Look into hugelkulter. Too much info to put in this post. My neighbor's soil improved a lot in one season.

Mulch. Mulch. Mulch. It keeps the soil moist and cool in the heat of summer, and keeps the weeds down.

My compost got a zillion percent better when I started adding chicken poop.

Garlic is easy-peasy to grow. I bought some to plant once, and have never bought garlic again either to eat or plant.

I'm glad you decided to start this business. First, you need to decide on the type of produce you want to grow. Create a garden plan that includes the right soil, water, sunlight, and nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom