My kids forgot to feed or young chickens

No molasses! It can have a laxative affect. The chick needs hydration not flushing.

DIY Homemade Electrolytes, a little sugar water or just plain cool fresh water are fine.

Homemade Electrolytes:
Per 1 Gallon of water, mix:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda​
  • 1 teaspoon salt​
  • 1 teaspoon potassium chloride OPTIONAL​
Once she's hydrated, then offer wet soupy chick starter. A little egg is fine too, but work on fluids!

:he
Sorry to hear. I would keep your bird in deep warm litter or nice soft towels, get in some sort of electrolytes and sugars, like a corn syrup in water to give some quick energy, carefully with a non-needled syringe if you have one, or a teaspoon if you don't. Scramble some egg or microwave in a bowl and stir, and cool enough to feed. Water is always key, then energy. You can slso make a watery gruel with the egg mixed in with the sugar water. You may know cotn syrup as Karo syrup as well, it is glucose and the body doesn't need to convert it before absorbing it for energy.

Last edited:
Do you have Nutridrecnh? That can be a life saver with chicks. If not, mix up an egg yolk, and try to syringe that making a little bubble on the end of the syringe, and place her beak in the bubble. Hopefully she will take it and improve.
I'm so sorry, this is such a sad situation. Hopefully your baby perks up and you can nurse her back to health.

I’ve gotten her to eat a half a syringe of egg yolk, and gotten her to drink quite a bit of water. She’s starting to try and do the water on her own. I’ll keep this post updated. Thank you all so much for all the advice.
Yay! This is really great news! Try adding molasses. Either in its own syringe or to the egg yolk. Molasses is a great way to boost a chick. Add sugar to her water as well, yet another way to give her energy.
I hope she continues to improve. Its probably a good idea to think about another friend for her. The first post made it sound like you only had the 2? Is that correct?

Yay! This is really great news! Try adding molasses. Either in its own syringe or to the egg yolk. Molasses is a great way to boost a chick. Add sugar to her water as well, yet another way to give her energy.
I hope she continues to improve. Its probably a good idea to think about another friend for her. The first post made it sound like you only had the 2? Is that correct?
Yes we just had the two. I was already considering getting another so I may do that tomorrow since I plan to go by tractor supply. I will put sugar in her water and I don’t have molasses but I am going to try karo syrup still.

Yes we just had the two. I was already considering getting another so I may do that tomorrow since I plan to go by tractor supply. I will put sugar in her water and I don’t have molasses but I am going to try karo syrup still.
Thats great. Brown sugar has molasses in it. If you have that I might try that over the Karo.

Try giving her some molasses mixed with water. That'll give her a boost. ;)
No molasses! It can have a laxative affect. The chick needs hydration not flushing.

DIY Homemade Electrolytes, a little sugar water or just plain cool fresh water are fine.

Homemade Electrolytes:
Per 1 Gallon of water, mix:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda​
  • 1 teaspoon salt​
  • 1 teaspoon potassium chloride OPTIONAL​
Once she's hydrated, then offer wet soupy chick starter. A little egg is fine too, but work on fluids!

Back
Top Bottom