My King Quails are at last laying! 3 female to 1 male?

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
Hi I am new here and I just wanted to firstly say hello everyone.
Secondly and most importantly I would like to know what to expect with my King Quail.
I have 3 hens and 1 cock. All three hens and the cock came from different breeders. They get along great and the cock is mating with all three.
I got my first egg today. YIPPIE!!!
I have a small aviary. It is split levelled with plants and sugar cane mulch in the upper level. (like a planter box). Then in the front there is ramp down to half concrete and half shell grit. I am using shell grit as when I hose it out it doesn't all get washed away like sand does and it helps their digestion. There is a little shelf at the top of the ramp with water dishes and under the shelf is the grit and their food dish. They share the aviary with canaries (which are breeding like nuts at the moment). I am in Australia - summer time.
Well, I was quite surprised to see that the quail don't make a formal kind of nest. They were just happy with digging down in the sugar cane mulch, inbetween some plants.
In the next couple of days I will place fine gage avairy mesh around the bottom and seal around the sliding door with some rubber to stop the little ones get out.
The water dishes are just plant pot bottom trays - about 1.5cm deep (is this too deep?).
Could anyone help me prepare for the little ones as I want to set it up so they do great. Some of my fellow aviary keepers in my neighbourhood want some of my chicks for their aviary's. They are great cleaners and keep the aviary bottom pretty clean. I hose it out every two weeks and give perches and plants a scrub down. All water and food dishes are cleaned daily.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited:
When they are ready (or for that matter willing) to sit there own eggs the hen will build a nest. I would put glass rocks in the water dish baby buttons (king quail) love to drown themselves. If the hen chooses to hatch the eggs you will need to grind up food for the chicks to a corn meal looking mash. Best of luck I think there is nothing cutier then a button quail family.

Hello, I have never posted photos before, could someone tell me how? I took some shots this morning that I would love to share with you.
King Quail are called Buttons in the UK and US. They are native to eastern Australia and Asia.
Please Help Me Post my photos and thanks for your interest.

Back
Top Bottom