My latest chicken guardian

Beautiful pup! I've owned a lot of dogs (been owned by some), and the grandest dog that I have ever met was a GSD. We used a crate when we got him, but he was automatically housebroken - smartest , most intuitive animal that I have ever known. He's been dead a long time, but I still think of and miss him. Enjoy your time with Loki.

the chickens will take a liking to him provided they arent ranging with a rooster. If he keeps his distance the rooster will warm up to his presence to. Ive got a Yorkie who like to be out with them but they like to chase her occasionally just for the fun of it. Nothing like a devoted rooster to warn the girls of danger though, Stray dogs are my biggest problem and the only solution to that is the shotgun but a good dog who will scrap really adds to the safety factor against strays.

I killed a bobcat this fall who had just killed a hen he got too bold one day and that was the end of him.

Last edited:
A bobcat would scare the crap outta me! Good thing you got him...nice shooting.
yesss.gif

I have no rooster, but my dogs are great with the chickens and wonderful protectors. We had a stray dog a few months back. My dogs sent him packing in a HURRY.

the chickens will take a liking to him provided they arent ranging with a rooster. If he keeps his distance the rooster will warm up to his presence to. Ive got a Yorkie who like to be out with them but they like to chase her occasionally just for the fun of it. Nothing like a devoted rooster to warn the girls of danger though, Stray dogs are my biggest problem and the only solution to that is the shotgun but a good dog who will scrap really adds to the safety factor against strays.

I killed a bobcat this fall who had just killed a hen he got too bold one day and that was the end of him.
nice shooting...did you skin the bobcat? they have nice pelts
big_smile.png

nice shooting...did you skin the bobcat? they have nice pelts
big_smile.png

A local taxidermist did it for me. I didn't want to make a mess of this one and he really did a great job. He quoted me 2 months and had it ready exactly as he estimated. Thanks Jamie at Cripple Creek Taxidermy. If you want to see some great mounts check out his web site and his photo album. Hope its ok to plug him, I know he doesn't mind.

A local taxidermist did it for me. I didn't want to make a mess of this one and he really did a great job. He quoted me 2 months and had it ready exactly as he estimated. Thanks Jamie at Cripple Creek Taxidermy. If you want to see some great mounts check out his web site and his photo album. Hope its ok to plug him, I know he doesn't mind.
wow! that is great! he did do a good job...cute little do...mine would try to chew any pelts on the floor (he's destroyed more that one rabbit pelt, and even chewed up part of a fox pelt
he.gif
lol)

wow! that is great! he did do a good job...cute little do...mine would try to chew any pelts on the floor (he's destroyed more that one rabbit pelt, and even chewed up part of a fox pelt
he.gif
lol)
Its off the floor lol shes good about that stuff. Its on the back of the sofa now but she still likes to take sniffes when I let her up. My two cats havent quite decided. Ive got a coyote I did, so far its escaped everything except the neighbors dog, he dragged it home and I got it back about a year later. Ive got a fox in the freezer I need to get thawed and in the solution. Ya I'd be knocking my gourd on a post if she decided to gnaw on this one. When I told my wife how much the taxidermist charged me she's still walking around with an eyebrow about 2" higher than the other
barnie.gif

Its off the floor lol shes good about that stuff. Its on the back of the sofa now but she still likes to take sniffes when I let her up. My two cats havent quite decided. Ive got a coyote I did, so far its escaped everything except the neighbors dog, he dragged it home and I got it back about a year later. Ive got a fox in the freezer I need to get thawed and in the solution. Ya I'd be knocking my gourd on a post if she decided to gnaw on this one. When I told my wife how much the taxidermist charged me she's still walking around with an eyebrow about 2" higher than the other
barnie.gif
lol, thats sure a bummer about the coyote. haha, i would be mad too, i would have to keep a nice one far, far away from the dogs
lol.png

I am biased towards GSD's...I have been training them for many years and have bred some here in France..

I have five of them here...

Mom, Dad and three of the daughters...

With the right training they will be the most wonderful guardians!

Great choice!

Back
Top Bottom