My Leghorn Flogged my little Girl

Quote:
Oh! Now that's a gross thought!
sickbyc.gif

Yeah, but there are plenty to go around and if you hurt childern, then who cares.
wee.gif

I agree with the others. Time for Mr. Rooster to be introduced to Mr. Ax.
I had the time and inclination to retrain one of my roosters who developed a 'tude and it worked well for me. However, we don't have children around very often. Even with his retraining I'll never trust him around children.

My mom grew up on a farm (back in the 40's) and they had a mean rooster that would only go after the women and girls. They kept him around though, because he "did his job". One day he caught my aunt, who was about 8 years old at the time, in the barnyard alone and flogged her terribly. She's 72 years old now and still terrified of all birds. When she was in her 30's she was supposed to come to my mom and dad's house for dinner and couldn't because there was a sparrow on her porch and she was too afraid to go past it. This is the kind of life your daughter can look forward to if you keep that rooster.

I got rid of a rooster simply because he made my 6 year old son uneasy.
He said there was something about that one that unnerved him and he has been around alot of chickens for a long time.
Every time he saw that rooster he ran like heck to the house.
I sold the rooster. I figure that kids have an instinct about things and even if he is wrong I wasn't taking any chances.
Not to mention, whats the point in having animals that your children are afraid of.
I know you raised this one from a chick and all that, so did we, but if it happens again and with even worse consquences you might possibly get yourself into some trouble.
There are teachers and others who might question her about the scratches on her face and what happens if it happens again? They might see it as recklessness that you still have an animal that has a history of already having attacked her before.
Also, you don't want her to develop a fear of the other chickens.

Just have you daughter take a broom out their and smack him around a lil. Hopefully he gets the message. If not have your daughter spray him with the hose. If that doesn't work try and find a new home for him. No offence but I'd hate to hear he went in the stew pot( although sounds good) but I have a white leghorn roo about 7 1/2 months now and he's just a babydoll. As I'm typing this he's one my lap and purring.

I don't know, I don't think its probably a good idea to tell a 7 year old kid to hit an animal with a broom or spray it with a hose.
I understand that adults may do this to get a rooster in line but it could send a mixed message to a child and its still not a safe situation for her to be in.
I would not allow my children to hit an animal after the fact. If she had retaliated right after the attack that would be different, but to send her out there just to knock him around days later doesn't sit well with me.
If he flogged her bad enough where her face is scratched up, I would not trust him ever again around her and to send her out to a pen to hit him is more like antagonizing him.
It is actually quite reckless to put her in that position after what he already did to her.
If it were my child she would never be within a mile of that rooster.
Even if it appears to put him in his place, it may not really and the next time she heads out to the coop he could go after her, they do have amazing memories.
The poster of this thread already said that this rooster willl chase after their vehicle if this little girl is in it, he has it in for her and hitting him with a broom or spraying him with a hose is going to add fuel to the fire.
I understand some may not want to see this rooster end up in a pot, but there is the alternative of rehoming him, as long as whoever takes him understands why he is being gotten rid of.

Back
Top Bottom