My little boy is gone!!!!(PICS)

I, too have a chicken killin' dog. I have had him way longer than I have had chickens. He has killed more of my birds than all other causes of death, combined. Yet, I love him and have taken steps to have both birds and dog at the same time. It can be done and there will be setbacks, but one does what one has to do. I love my dog, he's a great dog. He just has the instinct to kill birds and will if the right circumstances are present. I keep him up during the day and let him out at night unless everyone (of the birds) didn't come in to roost. Like now, I have two guinea hens AWOL and I suspect they have a nest somewhere. To prevent the dog from finding them at night, he is staying in the pen full time. I let him out when I am outside and he will not kill if I am watching. That sounds like he does it "behind my back" but I don't think it is like that. He just remembers that he is not supposed to mess with them when I am there to remind him. Bless his heart, he can't help it. I had a snake in the coop and I couldn't make him get it because he thought I didn't want him to kill it! He wants to please me and just can't seem to grasp that I like the birds alive. I know how bad it hurts, the last time it happened, I cryed (it scared my DH, I'm not a cryer.) Just do what you can to prevent it and if you fail, forgive yourself and keep trying.

So sorry to hear about Ian.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I disagree with this statement one hundred percent. It's heartbreaking to lose a beloved chicken but then it just ads insult to injury to be told to get rid of the dog you love or else get rid of your chickens.
When my dog killed his first chicken after a year of being terrified of them someone told me to get rid of him and it literally made my gut hurt. Just because the dog killed a chicken doesn't mean he is not a beloved part of the family. I would never get rid of a dog that I commited to and bonded with over that. he's my best friend. Even thinking about that makes me want to cry.
Not to say I don't love the chickens but he was here first. I love them too so I just made it work!

Here's what we do.
We just keep the dog inside during the daytime while the chickens are out. He likes being indoors better anyways. If he needs to go out to potty we just supervise him. It only takes five minutes out of our day. On top of that he still gets his walk, hikes, swimming etc.
For night time we got a doggy door that can be locked during the day and unlocked at night. He is free to run in and out while the girls are safely tucked away in their coop. This has worked out extra well because now he can patrol the backyard an chase off early morning coons too!

No reason to go through the heartache of choosing which pets you want most... Just gotta develop a system.

I'm really sorry about the loss of your gorgeous boy
sad.png

thank you
roll.png
you actually got half a smile out of me.

We had a chicken killing dog and came to the conclusion u cant have the dog and the chickens it just dosn't work.

I'm so very sorry.
hit.gif

We have 2 dogs and I lock up the chickens in a coop and run. They are very safe and happy. Maybe you can build a run for your chickens. That would keep the others safe. The dog was doing it's job. I'm so very sorry.
sad.png

Ya, thats my thoughts. A chicken killer is untrustworthy, they dont connect right in the head. I have a Great Dane and he loves to chase the Chickens and get them stirred up. He has not grabbed one, but has caused the death of several birds by driving them into a pile when moving a tractor, and they get pinched. We cant have him help. He knows we want the birds to move, but he gets it wrong, and has made some problems. He stops when told to, but , for him at least, it is part of the joy of life.
I would seriously have to reconsider the household order, if I got an egg sucker or closet killer. After all, I do this to be happy, not frustrated with partners, kids and dogs, predators,,.. Blah!

Back
Top Bottom