hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
My little baby Ian is dead (his real name is Henry Ian II, but Ian for short)
hit.gif
. He was barely even a fourth of a year old!! My dog is officially a chicken predator BUT I'M NOT GONNA GET RID OF HIM!!!! I keep telling myself its my fault. To make it worse, he died today. I haven't had any time toheal. I can barely write this....He was my nicest boy! My mom called me up from the basement to look out the window, and see my poor baby lying in the grass, with his hind end chewed out
hit.gif
She said the dog had gotten my nasty roo shadow, who is the meanest roo i've ever had besides my bantam who is now deceased.But, no he got my good boy, I knew as soon as i peeked across the corner of the house and saw him in the run.So he got my good boy. Well, its like they say, only the good die young.(this isnt the only good thing i've lost in a year , my last dog Dancer, my 3 RIRs, my bantam henry, my grandma rennie, my grandpa mickey ............. and the list goes on with my grandpa mosher.) This was my lovely boy Ian. R.I.P.
78707_imagejpeg_2_13.jpg

Hoping for good vibes!!Goodbye, Ian!!
BTW: This is Shadow
78707_imagejpeg_2_11.jpg

Last edited:
So sorry! He looks like my EE, Hadji. Sad news. Don't blame yourself, you gave him a great home, right?! Some things we can't control.
sad.png

Maybe, you could put your dog on one of those runners and put it far enough away that he can't get the chickens, and they have time to get away if they get too close.

Hey there, I know how you feel. My dog killed my favorite little pullet a while back. It also could have been prevented had I been more cautious but we can't change the past. I am very, very sorry for your loss. After my dog killed my little Joey, I couldn't look at the dog for a month. I know it wasn't her fault, she's a dog. Dogs are just meant to hunt and some of them can just never be trusted with chickens. I knew that. Accidents happen. Take some time to heal and make sure that the dog never has access to the chickens ever again. Don't get rid of the dog. If you lived in the CA Bay Area, I'd give you a sweet little splash blue wheaten Ameraucana roo, Benjamin. He'd make you feel better
hugs.gif
Cry it out, time helps. He was just a chicken but you obviously loved him. RIP little Ian
hit.gif

Quote:
I disagree with this statement one hundred percent. It's heartbreaking to lose a beloved chicken but then it just ads insult to injury to be told to get rid of the dog you love or else get rid of your chickens.
When my dog killed his first chicken after a year of being terrified of them someone told me to get rid of him and it literally made my gut hurt. Just because the dog killed a chicken doesn't mean he is not a beloved part of the family. I would never get rid of a dog that I commited to and bonded with over that. he's my best friend. Even thinking about that makes me want to cry.
Not to say I don't love the chickens but he was here first. I love them too so I just made it work!

Here's what we do.
We just keep the dog inside during the daytime while the chickens are out. He likes being indoors better anyways. If he needs to go out to potty we just supervise him. It only takes five minutes out of our day. On top of that he still gets his walk, hikes, swimming etc.
For night time we got a doggy door that can be locked during the day and unlocked at night. He is free to run in and out while the girls are safely tucked away in their coop. This has worked out extra well because now he can patrol the backyard an chase off early morning coons too!

No reason to go through the heartache of choosing which pets you want most... Just gotta develop a system.

I'm really sorry about the loss of your gorgeous boy
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom