EVERYONE!!! I experienced my first three-way FEMALE “duck pyramid” last night!!!! Woo hoo!!!! I feel like they are so late to the hormonal game compared to yours @Mimi13 !!!!! 🤣 hopefully this means eggs soon!!!!
Congratulations on your little weirdo ducks! 🤣 I guess they’re so pumped full of hormones they go crazy!🤪

Petey was just shy of 18 weeks old when she laid her first egg. I was expecting not to see a first egg until 20+ weeks, but she surprised me.

And then this morning I found these two dirty little things in a very crudely made nest. <eek!>
2C1ADEE8-634F-448D-AE66-F51337B9C40B.jpeg

I’m almost about to think I’ve got three layers now. The cream one is new for sure and the greenish eggs Petey has been laying have been much larger than this one. :idunno I’m embarrassed to say I don’t even know what color eggs my ducks will lay. This upsets me because I knew everything about the chickens and not so much about the ducks! :(

On warm days my ducks are actively pumping air through their feathers: They lift their wings just a little bit away from their bodies and pull them back asymmetrically, one wing first, the second one with a little delay of ~½ second. First i thought they have fleas, but could not find anything on Bazilla, so i assume this is the equivalent of a fan for ducks.
Then this explains what I saw Petey doing a few days ago. It was so strange that I videoed her. I thought she had a “tic” of some sort. :lau

Exactly! :bow:lau

It was/is a tradition at the high school my boys graduated from (16 and 14 years ago) to make an “elaborate” scrapbook for football players. And I did just that...for my first son. But, I must confess, my second son never received a finished scrapbook. :smack:mad::hitThat is me slapping myself. I keep telling myself I need to (must) finish his. I can’t believe I’ve just pushed it to the very, very back burner.

In my defense, LIFE got in the way at that particular time, big time!
I can't even remember the last time i was bored! It seems that days are miraculously becoming shorter the older you are. 😯

Congratulations on your little weirdo ducks! 🤣 I guess they’re so pumped full of hormones they go crazy!🤪

Petey was just shy of 18 weeks old when she laid her first egg. I was expecting not to see a first egg until 20+ weeks, but she surprised me.

And then this morning I found these two dirty little things in a very crudely made nest. <eek!>View attachment 2280446
I’m almost about to think I’ve got three layers now. The cream one is new for sure and the greenish eggs Petey has been laying have been much larger than this one. :idunno I’m embarrassed to say I don’t even know what color eggs my ducks will lay. This upsets me because I knew everything about the chickens and not so much about the ducks! :(
What's the issue with these eggs? They are almost clean! Just a little dusting required. :gig
I'm a bit surprised that Petey is laying greenish eggs, all my White Layers are laying huge white eggs. The Runners and their descendants are laying slim greenish eggs and all the other ducks are laying white to creamy eggs.

What's the issue with these eggs? They are almost clean! Just a little dusting required. :gig
I'm a bit surprised that Petey is laying greenish eggs, all my White Layers are laying huge white eggs. The Runners and their descendants are laying slim greenish eggs and all the other ducks are laying white to creamy eggs.
How very weird! I wouldn’t know it was Petey laying greenish eggs if I had not had her inside several nights. And, if Petey laid that little green egg this morning, she laid a much smaller one than she’s been laying. Which duck do you think laid the cream colored one? The Buff Orpington?

How very weird! I wouldn’t know it was Petey laying greenish eggs if I had not had her inside several nights. And, if Petey laid that little green egg this morning, she laid a much smaller one than she’s been laying. Which duck do you think laid the cream colored one? The Buff Orpington?
I would expect another greenish egg from Hershey, so it might very well be the "Buffy". My Buff Orpingtons also started to lay really early, then came the swedish girls. The heavier the duck breed the later they start laying eggs, culminating in the Jumbo Pekin breed which is usually slaughtered before they even laid the first egg. 😢

And then this morning I found these two dirty little things in a very crudely made nest. <eek!>View attachment 2280446
Hahaha well I guess it just makes it that much more fun trying to find the eggs and guess who they belong to! 😆 what breeds do you have again? I only researched the breeds I have so I’m not so sure about white layers or your runners...

Back
Top Bottom