My meat bird has green and white poo

Cori R

Hatching
Jul 10, 2022
Good evening,
My Freedom Ranger has slowly been declining over the last few days. I have separated him from the flock, he isn’t really moving and today wasn’t really eating or drinking. He has green and white poo and his legs seem to not be moving anymore either. Any ideas what’s going on?

Attachments

• 9CE25E73-A441-4A3E-8CD0-B295531D44DE.jpeg
    9CE25E73-A441-4A3E-8CD0-B295531D44DE.jpeg
    984.1 KB · Views: 21
  • ED83A9BB-0EA5-42E4-8535-9AAFDCAE8F42.jpeg
    ED83A9BB-0EA5-42E4-8535-9AAFDCAE8F42.jpeg
    909.8 KB · Views: 5
Good evening,
My Freedom Ranger has slowly been declining over the last few days. I have separated him from the flock, he isn’t really moving and today wasn’t really eating or drinking. He has green and white poo and his legs seem to not be moving anymore either. Any ideas what’s going on?
Could very well be Marek's disease. I had a meat bird (a hen) with it. She had the green stools - even though she was eating...that apparently is a sign of Marek's. The paralysis can also be an indication - although they don't always exhibit limb paralysis...different strains of the disease I think.

Could very well be Marek's disease. I had a meat bird (a hen) with it. She had the green stools - even though she was eating...that apparently is a sign of Marek's. The paralysis can also be an indication - although they don't always exhibit limb paralysis...different strains of the disease I think.
Any suggestions on how to treat?

I had a qualified vet tell me that my hen had Marek's...I suspected it, but then again the avian vet that looked at her could tell just by the grip strength of her feet...

I don't believe there is a cure for it. In most cases, the bird doesn't survive - But before you despair, you should first try to find out if it is or is not Marek's... 2 matching symptoms is not enough to go on.

It's difficult (where I live) to find a vet that will even be willing to examine a chicken...I don't know why - Chickens make great pets and their owner's money is as green any dog or cat owner's money. lol

In your shoes, I would take him to a vet - asap.

Also, when a chicken doesn't eat, their stools are usually green - the color of a chicken's bile... My bird ate like a horse but still had the green stools...and it looked a lot like your picture...a mushy moss green - mixed with the white urates...

Good evening,
Has he eaten any moldy feed?

Moldy feed or enteritis comes to mind.

What are your plans for this bird? Is he to be processed or is he a pet?

If you were going to process, then culling and cutting your losses may be the most economical way to go.

If a pet, consideration for quality of life still needs to be taken. You can try treating with an antibiotic, get some fresh feed and water into him and see how it goes.
It's possible he may be suffering from disease like Marek's or even since he is a meat type bird, his legs may not be able to support him any longer. Hard to know unless you get some testing done if you lose him.

Back
Top Bottom