My (meat) turkeys are too fat. Anything we can do?

No pictures, it was just copious amounts we were taking off after cooking the hen.
We took the tom off the bone and disposed of the skin and fat before freezing.

Will take some pictures of the next ones we butcher in a couple weeks.
I love the fat, lol!

I like some fat too, it adds great flavor.
The amount of fat that came off the hen we cooked as beyond excessive.

I'm thinking the next hen we cook may have to be low and slow in the oven to fully render all the fat (and maybe turn the turkey skin into turkey bacon). I'm thinking maybe 225F 40 min/pound.

I'm thinking the next hen we cook may have to be low and slow in the oven to fully render all the fat (and maybe turn the turkey skin into turkey bacon). I'm thinking maybe 225F 40 min/pound.
I might have to ask you for advice when I decide to cook one of mine... Haven't done one of my own yet.

What did you cook the other one at? I use a temp probe on really any poultry i cook anymore.

Just like people, carbs are for athlete who run marathons and the carbs, in that case, will fuel the energy needed to win the race, by metabolizing the fat. If the turkey cannot metabolize the carbs with VIGOROUS exercise LOL
gig.gif
, It will be deposited as fat. Next time, feed more protein for muscle(meat) and less carbs which produce FAT! Seeing a fat turkey running is funny!
If you do change the other turkey's diet, please let us know if it worked and how your turkey tasted!
Thanks,
Celie

Just like people, carbs are for athlete who run marathons and the carbs, in that case, will fuel the energy needed to win the race, by metabolizing the fat. If the turkey cannot metabolize the carbs with VIGOROUS exercise LOL
gig.gif
, It will be deposited as fat. Next time, feed more protein for muscle(meat) and less carbs which produce FAT! Seeing a fat turkey running is funny!
If you do change the other turkey's diet, please let us know if it worked and how your turkey tasted!
Thanks,
Celie
We few the turkeys a high protein diet, until a few weeks ago when we started feeding them finishing food (grains) to put a bit of fat on them.
Maybe the scraps from our house put more fat on them than we thought?

Top two are the hen, bottom one is the tom that we had to dry pluck, because he was too big to fit in our scalding pot.

See the fat on the sides of the breast above the wing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom