My mom found a Blue Jay egg what should we do?

Silver Sebright

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
Earlier today my mom found a blue jay egg right outside our chicken coop door we put it in a incubator just in case it is still alive. Anything else that we should do?

Earlier today my mom found a blue jay egg right outside our chicken coop door we put it in a incubator just in case it is still alive. Anything else that we should do?

I would suggest against incubating. I know our instincts is to help a defensive egg. However this situation is better left to mother nature. Baby wild birds require round the clock feeding and in most states its illegal to care for a baby wild bird, unless you have a license to do so.

I would suggest against incubating. I know our instincts is to help a defensive egg. However this situation is better left to mother nature. Baby wild birds require round the clock feeding and in most states its illegal to care for a baby wild bird, unless you have a license to do so.

I have successfully raised any number of baby wild birds and I didn't feed them around the clock either. Neither do their mothers. I called to local wildlife rehab and they told me what to do. I fed the babies dog food starting early in the morning and then fairly frequently until lights out in the evening. I would either soak dry dog food until it was soft or feed a good canned dog food. The babies will tell you when they are hungry. Once they can fly well, it is time to release them. I hung a cage outside with food and water in it and opened the door. I would leave the cage out there for several days. Sometimes the babies will come back to the cage for food and rest and sometimes they don't.

Back
Top Bottom