My most recent hatch - 11.13.10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happytxchick, Nov 24, 2010.

1. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I hatched test eggs from Happy Chooks. Here's what I got:

Chick #1 - front & back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 - this one appears to be feathering out blue
    [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]

Chick #4 - maybe blue, too, but a darker blue than #2 - what do you think?
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 - this one hatched with bare patches on it's back & a splay leg that is correcting itself
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #6
    [​IMG]

Chick #7
    [​IMG]

2. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    These are Olive Eggers.

Chicks #s 4, 5, and 7 have feathered legs.

Happy Chooks, do you think any of these look like they are the product of your Welsummers roo?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The ones with the feathered shanks are definitely from my olive egger rooster, he has BCM in him with feathering on his shanks. Both my welsummer and my ameraucana's have clean legs.

All the blues should be fathered by my olive egger rooster. All my ameraucana's are black, combined with a wellie roo, it would produce all black chicks. But my olive egger roo can also produce black chicks. There's no way to be certain who fathered them, which is why I put them as test eggs. I also wanted to see what the olive egger Roo produced in offspring.

So, the long answer to your question is the black chicks without feathers on their shanks are your best bet for being fathered by my welsummer rooster.

None of the ones I hatched had feathered shanks, which surprised me. But 2 other test hatchers hatched some with feathered shanks.

ETA: I will be separating the roosters soon, then I'll be able to do more hatching knowing who fathered them.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Number 2 and 4 are certainly blue. Number 7 may be as well, hard to tell in the pic.

The bare one confuses me, I'm not sure what causes that.

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Congrats , and thanks for the pics .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by