My muscovy.... he roosts.... LOL

Wild Muscovies roost, and so do nearly all that I have ever raised. It really cracks me up when they perch on a barbed wire fence or the gate.
13107_087.jpg

Quote:
omg thats too funny!!!!

Yep funny! we had one that used to like to roost on the eves trough of the porch over the house front door. amazimg how well that duck could time her poops! when we finally caught her she got wing clipped!

Quote:
omg thats too funny!!!!

Yep funny! we had one that used to like to roost on the eves trough of the porch over the house front door. amazimg how well that duck could time her poops! when we finally caught her she got wing clipped!

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad duck!!!!!

lau.gif

thanks for sharing your story!!!!!! made me laugh

We have a Muscovy pair (along with two bantam chickens and two rabbits) living in our backyard. For the first few months the young ducks slept with one of our rabbits under the fireplace/chimney where it sticks out on the side of the house.

When we had a windy, freezing period awhile back, I put some straw around that area to keep the wind out. They must not have liked that, because ever since then they have spent most of their time - day and night - living on top of our chicken coop/run. The coop is a converted Rabbit hutch (on taller legs) and the run is about 4 feet high. It has been horrible. The amount of poop on everything, combined with the mess from them flapping their wings, has made it unbearable - I never imagined that they'd be spending their lives on top of something. LOL!

Just today I went out and power washed everything down, then put sloping panels on hinges on top of the coop and run so that they wouldn't sit up their. I looked out at dusk and sure enough they were sitting on top of these heavily sloped panels, very defiantly. Later, though, I was pleased that they had gotten down, though I'm not sure where they'll be shacking up tonight. I hope to figure out a solution for them by Friday so that we can move on from the horrible poopy mess that they were creating out their.

(Never mind the poop all over the deck. I promised my wife that they would stay in their area. LOL! Nothing like trying to eat breakfast and having two hungry ducks pecking away at the glass slider, pooping at will.)

-Dave

At our Wisconsin farm- We use to pinion all our Muscovies because we could not have them flying around because the farm is on the city limits and we had neighbors close by.

But now at the South Dakota ranch, we have left our young Muscovies full winged, cause our closest neighbor is a mile away. I think it is cool watching them fly around- they will sometimes make circles around the buildings up to a 1/4 mile away. Alot will roost in the trees over our duck ponds.

The only problem with the full winged muscovies is I have to feed them in a covered pen and lure them in to catch them.

1muscovytree.jpg

I could clip a wing - and I might eventually - but I personally prefer to leave them as-is. I know it sounds self-defeating, but I'm looking at alternatives that might work better. In any event, it's always an option on the table.

-Dave

Quote:
Why not clip a wing?

Back
Top Bottom