My neighbors are mad about my chickens - but we are LEGAL

Quote:
Maybe the little bird is a strange one.....
Surprise your neighbor with some eggs to talk over the subject.....otherwise it is just attitude vs. attitude

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like a complete insensitive ogre. Me, I do not care one little teensy bit about what my neighbors think of my chickens (inc four roosters). There is no zoning here, it's mostly agricultural with expensive log homes up on the mountains. The only neighborhood covenants say that you can't have pigs or put up a permanent mobile home, and there is no one to enforce them anyway.
I don't particularly care that two of my roosters crow at 4 a.m. nor do I care if anyone else cares. I'm well within my rights to have as many roosters as I like here, plus any other livestock animal I choose, except pigs. Roosters crow and I have them legally, so
hu.gif
I suppose I really don't care about neighborhood relations, though I do have some pretty nice ones who say they like to hear my roos crow and my hens cackle. I perimeter fenced just about 2 acres of my over 5 acres we own so my birds can't normally roam off the property and get into trouble with anyone; that is, unless my 18 week old BR pullet, Fern, decides to fly over the wrong fence. She's been getting out of the pen lately and I'm waiting for her to get her big-girl bum so she can't do it anymore, LOL.
If anyone does complain, like my closest neighbor down the hill behind the chicken coop area, I guess I'd then have to counter-complain about the ATVs, Jeeps, Gator vehicle, dirt bikes, loud music and gunfire at 11 p.m. plus their dog barking many nights. I'm just a anti-social misfit, I guess. Hope your neighbors chill out soon.

Oh, I just HAVE to chime in here! I'm lucky, my neighbors are older and remember when this area was all agricultural and LOVE the sound of the rooster crowing. Our lots are almost two acres, lots of woods for privacy. I love them all and they will ALL get fresh eggs when my girls decide to it's the thing to do. And the day after I got my rooster I went door to door to make sure he wasn't bothering anyone - told them I would find him a new home if it did. I think that was the right thing to do in a residential setting. However, I have a friend who bought the original 1700's farmhouse, barn and five acres of a farm that was completely subdivided into those ugly ass mutt-looking big houses. Love the country, huh? They NEVER stopped complaining! Her horses smell - the barn is old - blah blah blah. She tried everything too - free horse/pony rides for their kids, eggs, etc. They took full advantage of her generosity, but it never stopped. Even went so far as to circulate a petition against her farm (and yes, she is zoned and takes care of her place and her animals). When they actually let her sheep out of their pen THEN called and complained, she freaked.

The house before the one we are in now, was in a little beach community - and we did have "THAT" neighbor. Constantly calling on everyone in a 3 block radius on every little burp and fart ... used to LOCK HIS KIDS SWING UP so no one would dare go on his property and swing on it - would flip out if someone used his driveway to turn around in.

You are right to just smile, wave and ignore them. I have tried to turn the other cheek - in fact, almost always do - but it stinks when someone uses the opportunity to hit you on that side of your face as well.

Take care - Laura

wel. i suggest a pig or two. put them in a pen near the property line and hey, they do a Great job tilling up garden space i hear... i mean 10 acres and NOT expected to have animals????? heck we're buying 5 acres and ( dont tell dh yet, but), we'll be getting a few goats
celebrate.gif
, Plus the two dogs, three and a half kids, free ranging cat, two ferrets, and 11 chickens... MAYBE we'll bring along the snake that moved in to the basement too. haha anyways, i can personally vouch that my KIDS make Way more noise than my rooster! , maybe you could just put in a nice playground and invite the sunday school kids over every weekend to play? cheaper than pigs.

And i would wake up Every day with a Smile on my face knowing that I was Important enough that Just By Being Alive could RUIN someone elses day. LOL!

just saw where you are from....and me being from jersey, i can say this.....your neighbors being from NY says it all. lol. they breathe attitude (a lot of them anyway). They should be thankful you dont get pigs. When i was arguing with my dad (he's my neighbor and we both have 5 acres) i got pigs and put them really close to his property. the smell was awful...if the wind blew just the right way. he learned to just leave me alone, and i sold the pigs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom