My new babies are dying!! : (

melaniekemp

Chirping
Mar 11, 2016
Huntersville, NC
Omg. This is my first time raising chickens. And so subsequently my first experience with mail order chicks. Ugh. USPS lost my package for an extra day. When the chicks finally arrived two were doa. A third was about to die it was in throes of convulsions and body all cold and stiff. At this point (chicks came in at 7:30 am today and now it is 8:30pm tonight), I have what appear to be 10 healthy looking chickies in the brooder and sadly three very sick babies here next to me. I've been hydrating them every 20-30 minutes all day. I've been "wearing" them against my skin by turning my hoodie around backwards and inverting the hood so it's like a warm nest on my chest. I've moved up in hydration to sugar water with mashed chick crumbles and sliced garlic (for immune system).
They were pitiful initially. Jerking their heads and necks rythmically and mouths gaping falling over sideways. Now the three are peeping occasionally, sitting up in little puffs together and drinking from a dropper. But still not one of the three will stand or open its eyes. If left alone, each chick trembles and sways. I am so worried I have not done something I should have done and they might die! Can anyone help these babies?! I am so new at this it's ridiculous. Poor little sweeties. : (

Am I supposed to post photos? Hmm. Let me see. I have a not great one of the brooder. Also a quick snap of my sickie chickies. : (

I'm sorry they arrived in such rough shape. I would, however, swap out the garlic for a little yogurt to build their good gut bacteria.

You can go to any farm store and get "Save-A-Chick" electrolytes and probiotics. See who pulls through and then contact the hatchery and the post office. You should be able to get replacement chicks or a refund.

Absolutely horrible first experience. Don't let this deter you. I've raised chickens for 8 years and never had this sort of experience. I hope it gets better for you.

Thanks you guys! At least you don't seem to think I'm a horrible willfully ignorant chicken killing monster. Haha
I mean I got these chickens because I hate the way American giant farm industry treats livestock. So I decided if I want eggs then I'll just have to do it myself. I don't necessarily disapprove of eating animals or their products. But I strongly, hardily disapprove of torture. It's so not necessary. Ugh. And Anyway now here I sit possibly slowly killing these sweet babies anyway. Makes my heart hurt. WTG me!

barnie.gif
Your experience pretty much sums up why I've made myself a promise not to buy live chicks through the mail. I couldn't take that kind of emotional trauma.

@ShanandGem
I couldn't agree more. I did mail order because I wanted the same kind of chickens we had growing up. But never again. It's too cruel. Poor babies

Did I mention that I held the third (convulsing on arrival) chick until it died in my hands? I knew it was a goner but I just couldn't bring myself to let it die to the side alone.

Omg. This is my first time raising chickens. And so subsequently my first experience with mail order chicks. Ugh. USPS lost my package for an extra day. When the chicks finally arrived two were doa. A third was about to die it was in throes of convulsions and body all cold and stiff. At this point (chicks came in at 7:30 am today and now it is 8:30pm tonight), I have what appear to be 10 healthy looking chickies in the brooder and sadly three very sick babies here next to me. I've been hydrating them every 20-30 minutes all day. I've been "wearing" them against my skin by turning my hoodie around backwards and inverting the hood so it's like a warm nest on my chest. I've moved up in hydration to sugar water with mashed chick crumbles and sliced garlic (for immune system).
They were pitiful initially. Jerking their heads and necks rythmically and mouths gaping falling over sideways. Now the three are peeping occasionally, sitting up in little puffs together and drinking from a dropper. But still not one of the three will stand or open its eyes. If left alone, each chick trembles and sways. I am so worried I have not done something I should have done and they might die! Can anyone help these babies?! I am so new at this it's ridiculous. Poor little sweeties. : (
Body heat is insufficient to warm chilled chicks. If chilled, they need to be kept at 99 to 100 degrees. Sugar water or Gatorade for hydration is best if you don't have Sav-A-Chick on hand. You can try offering them some hard boiled egg yolks for nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom