My new career choice?

Rosebud75

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Vt
I am currently a very happy lunch lady. However, I've always wanted a job working with animals - I'd be perfectly happy being surrounded by them all day long! When hubby said I should think about going back to school, I told him I'd like to be a Veterinary technician! HURRAY FOR ME!!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

However the nearest tech school offering the degree is an hour away, so I'd have to be content with taking the gen. eds at our local community college until we move closer. (it would also bring us closer to hubby's work).

Any thoughts on this? I want to get as much info as I can on the topic. I've already scoured the 'net. Hubby says he could see me working for a shelter or something.
bun.gif

Quote:
I worked as a non-certified tech for a few years. Very rewarding, hard work. There were days when I cried all the way home because we'd euthanized one of our favorite old patients, but for every sad event there more happy ones. You're doing the right thing getting as much info as you can now! Good luck!
big_smile.png

I am horribly impatient though. Gen. eds would take 2 years or so - only taking 1 at a time per semester due to money. I also have 2 boys so I can't see traveling to school and still being home in time to get them from their school - which means it will be 2 years or more before I get into any actual vet. tech. classes!!
barnie.gif
But Hubby said maybe I can find some volunteer work with animals until then - to gain experience and stuff.

I'm all for following your dreams.... This could be a wonderful opportunity for you
smile.png
My only suggestion to you is to make sure the tech school accepts credits from your local college and will give you transfer credits. You'd keep the tech school's admissions people onboard with your progress. When I re-trained in a different career choice, I went to the college and asked what I needed to be accepted into their program. They went thru my transcripts and told me what courses I'd need to get up to speed. That way I wasn't a stranger when I did apply and I had the stuff they said they wanted. Cool beans! I'm happy for you
yippiechickie.gif

im in the same boat as you. except i would like to be a large animal vet. the closest college that offers the program is 2 hours away, so im going to get the general ed credits done at a local tech school, then theres the problem of getting accepted into the school so its gonna take some time to get everything going but its what i really want and i can tell that you REALLY want to be a vet tech and you should do it, i mean whats worth having unless you have to work for it. hope everything goes well and you get all your classes in.

I do know they accept credits from our comm. college - I already asked the community college.

"Lifer" student here, so take this with a grain of salt.
I always hear people asking if a course of study will be "worth it." I want to ask: ARE YOU WORTH IT? Are you important enough to merit some improvement? OF COURSE YOU ARE! Is your time well spent working on YOU? Are your interests important? YES!

So do it & be happy!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom